Live wire with 5v a.c. when off

We all know that, FFS.

Which bit of ohms law

's_law do you not understand? It's simple enough, after all.

You can't get the current to flow through a load without an adequate voltage.

So, do tell us, just how much current can you get to flow through an elephant with a potential difference of 1V? Is it fatal to the elephant?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@o77g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

We all know that, FFS.

So why are you arguing against yourself then FFS! The point is, it might not be an elephant, it might be a child having just climbed out of the bath - sod all amps but many amps will kill - stop suggesting otherwise.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Oops, Sod all *volts* but many amps...

Reply to
:Jerry:

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@o77g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

He's not FFS (again). Yes many amps will kill, we know that but sod all volts = sod all amps, NOT MANY, unless you are a metal bar. Jeez! 5v isn't going to affect anyone, wet or not.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

snipped-for-privacy@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

You really are braindead aren't you.

Try reading the whole thread, from the beginning.

The issue was whether 5V AC was dangerous.

I pointed out that even with a low impedance source capable of delivering many amps, there would be insufficient current flow [through a human].

Someone came out with the age old ditty about volts and amps.

I pointed out that the current depends upon the voltage and the impedance of the load.

You then joined in with (as usual) personal abuse and irrelevant data.

In the case of possible danger to a human, 5V AC is simply not enough voltage to cause a dangerous current to flow.

In your example of 1V and an elephant, I doubt that 1V is sufficicnt to cause a dangerous current to flow.

Telling us it's the current that kills, and implying that there is a danger, is meaningless when there is no possibility of a current capable of killing, due to the insufficent voltage.

I'm not, FFS.

Bringing wet children into it makes no difference. 5V AC is still not enough to make a fatal current flow.

Where did I say that amps will not kill? They do, but you need a sufficiently large voltage to cause the current to flow through a given load.

It's ohm's law, stupid.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I was nearly killed by 50 volts once, but that was because it knocked me of me perch, but I managed to grab something on the way down.

Much lower wouldn't give a big enough tingle even for that.

Reply to
<me9

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@o77g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

WWHHHOOOSSSSHHH........

Reply to
:Jerry:

Some very high quality quoting again there. I'd suggest you use Google Groups - at least it behaves properly...

Just to clarify - the last line there (incorrectly indented and tagged onto the bottom of my post) was posted by :Jerry-I've-Got-A-Broken- Newsreader:

And to repeat what everyone else has said about ten times now - yes, we are all fully capable of understanding that it is the current which kills not the voltage.

What you have neglected to take into consideration is that with such low voltages, there can only be incredibly low currents passing through the relatively high resistance of an extremely large elephant.

Reply to
stevelup

Hey - at least that bit was quoted properly...

Reply to
stevelup

Hey - at least that bit was quoted properly...

Yes because he is using a proper nntp server unlike you.

Reply to
:Jerry:

:Jerry:

What about a small elephant?

Is there a difference between African and Indian elephants?

In the absence of elephants with which to carry out a practical experiment, could I kidnap some members of the local international students' society, electrocute them, and extrapolate the results to elephants?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Our own good Dr. Drivel is a fairly harmless tool....

Reply to
Andy Hall

What about the fifth elephant?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Quite.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Is that the sound of an electrocuted elephant? Did it survive?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

People who use Outlook Express shouldn't throw stones. Your newsreader

*is* broken.

And you won't get a dangerous current at 5V.

With moistened digits I'm about 300K thumb-to-thumb. At 240V mains that'd give a thoroughly lethal milliamp (ish). At 5V it'd give 16 microamps. I don't even feel it, I've had 12V off model trains enough as a kid and felt nothing.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Who's he? I replied to you!

Reply to
stevelup

When you have learned to quote properly, *and* stop using Outlook Express as your newsreader, please feel free to come back and criticise others.

In the meantime, go and investigate how to electrocute an elephant with 1V.

Reply to
stevelup

I think you would more informative results by attempting to electrocute :Jerry: using a watch battery.

Reply to
stevelup