Lithium molybdenum disulphide grease

Hi

I'm trying to get hold of some lithium molybdenum disulphide grease. I need it for a very specific application which requires this particular grease.

I popped into Halfords today to see if they had any and the most likely thing they had was Castrol LM grease. I asked one of the assistants if this was lithium molybdenum disulphide grease and they said no it's not. Now that I've got home I'm thinking that maybe the Castrol LM grease is what I want and the assistant may not have understood me correctly.

I've been searching the Castrol web-site to see if they mention what their LM Grease is but they don't give that information.

Does anyone here know if Castrol LM is lithium molybdenum disulphide grease?

If not, does anyone know where lithium molybdenum disulphide grease can be got?

TIA

Reply to
PJ

Unless the application is very specific, driveshaft grease may suffice. It's usually molybdenum disulphide grease in a lithium base. Castrol do some called "MDX" got some in the shed somewhere Or the local motor factors should have small sachets of it, intended for driveshaft boot replacement.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

Stating the obvious (again!): do a Google search for "lithium molybdenum disulphide grease" and, indeed "Castrol LM".

You will find (amongst other things) that Castrol LM is not what you want. It is Lithium based but no Molybdenum. It's possible Castrol Moly grease would do.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

You should be able to get it at a gunshop - LMD grease is use for lubricating air rifles.

Rowdy

Reply to
Rowdy

No, I don't think Castrol LM is moly grease. You will be able to get some at your local motorcycle dealer. Alternatively try

They are based in Warrington.

JW

Reply to
JW

You need Castrol MS3 not LM, (at least according to my tin of MS3 which is now 34 years old, and I originally bought to pack the replacement CV joints on my first two minis!!)

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

I believe it used to be available as MS4, but haven't seen it for a while. Sort of dark grey in colour, and slightly more viscous than LM grease.

Reply to
Martin

Wasn't it also needed to change the Mk1 rear sub-frame assembly, the one that had the rubber cushions? I think that's why I bought my tin, which must be approaching the same vintage.

Reply to
Wanderer

MS4 is silcone grease and a very different beast.

Isn't what you want sold as Molyslip LM?

Reply to
harrogate

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:40:28 +0000, JW wrote (in message ):

Thanks for this comment and all the others. I tried all of the suggestions, motorcycle shops, a gun shop etc. I even found out I have a wholesaler for grease and other lubes close to where I live but they don't have it either :)

In the end I phoned the company who made the thing I need it for and they have sent me some.

Reply to
PJ

Am I the only one who`s intrigued as to what this gadget is ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

It must have been a victim of the EEC/HSE or whatever... I seem to remember my father had a very old tin but what he used it for I don't remember... Just the sort of thing you can't get in small quantities so it stands for centruire gathering dust in the shed...

Reply to
Abdullah Eyles