Liquid PTFE

In a recent thread, the consensus seemed to be that liquid PTFE was superior to tape for sealing (for example) the threads on radiator tails. It is also quite a lot more expensive!

Can I ask those who use the liquid where you normally get it, and in what quantities?

How much do I need for 10 radiators (20 tails)?

I see that Screwfix sell 50 ml for about a tenner (a bit cheaper at Toolstation) or you can get 250 ml from Plumb Center for about £19 + VAT. What is its shelf life, once opened?

[Also, can anyone tell me where I can get a 1/2"BSP tap (as in tap and die!) to clean up the threads in my rads prior to fitting new valves?]
Reply to
Roger Mills

Try here

wattie

Reply to
Roger Mills

I use the 'True Blue' stuff (not to be confused with Loo Bloo :-)) in tubes, from Toolstation. It's better than tape if the rad's threads are a bit tight or rough and would tear up tape or stop it going in on the tail, but for nicely machined threads there's not much in it: tape's more fiddly, liquid more messy. The cost isn't enough to be significant compared to the costs of other materials involved.

One tube.

Dunno but I could do with one: had to send a towel rad back the other day because the threads were so poorly formed.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Or if you have an RS trade counter nearby, Dow Corning Plumba Thread, stock code 423-6950 5.35 + vat

Reply to
fred