Linux - thumbs down

WYSIWYG (WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet) refers to how you view the file, not any specific editor. You can indeed "Open with Kompozer" - I know 'cos I've just done it to make sure! lol You can also view the file as plain HTML code, which can be edited using any text editor. I sometimes do this to make minor changes to a page instead of firing up a bigger editor.

You might like to have a look at Bluefish too, although it may not be exactly what you are looking for.

Have a look here:

where similar things have been discussed.

Reply to
mick

How would that help? I'd still have to 'calibrate' it for each variety of aged slide etc. wouldn't I?

The Epson clean-up managed to cope pretty well (as in produces an acceptable digital copy) with a huge variety or really faded and colour shifted slides of mixed film types dating back to the 1960s. It does this with no user intervention at all except to tell it 'sort that mess out please'.

Hey, please note, I'm a Linux old hand, I've been using it for all my systems since the 1990s, I started with Slackware and have arrived at Xubuntu via a couple of other distributions. Having spent much of my prefessional life (Software Engineer) since the 1980s using Unix it was like coming home when Linux came on the scene.

The Epson scanner software and the Access database are just about the

*only* two things I start up the XP virtual machine for, everything else is non-Windows. I could migrate the Access database application, I wrote it myself, but it's quite big and complex and will become redundant in the next two or three years so it's not really worth the effort.
Reply to
cl

Did you try PhotoQt as a substitute for Lightbox Tim? I've just been looking at the info and wondering whether to give it a spin.

I've also been using the DraftSight CAD program. It's similar to AutoCAD LT in a lot of ways and is quite usable for 2D stuff. It handles the same DWG files that we use at work so it's been quite useful.

I do have to use Windows 7 for my day job. :( It's better than when I had to use Windows 95 though. :)

Reply to
mick

Yes, that's the same way round as my experience. Epson V700 scanner software works fine in XP virtual machine but Garmin SatNavs need a real XP.

Reply to
cl

I have an XP bootable partition on my (rather aged) netbook for the times when I need a 'real' Windows box, however for most things I use the virtual XP I have on my desktop machine. (The netbook would collapse under the strain of trying to run a virtual machine anyway)

Reply to
cl

I think a Linux system with a Windows virtual machine would do what you want pretty effectively.

What sort of "updates for their website" do clients send you? I.e. what windows program do you need to have to handle them?

The great advantage of a virtual machine over dual boot is the ability to switch instantly from Linux to Windows and back plus the ability to copy/paste between the two.

Reply to
cl

Absolutely right, I run with an i3 processor and 8Gb of RAM.

I run VirtualBox and an XP image, as you say you wouldn't know it wasn't real in terms of performance.

I just use multiple desktops with one dedicated to Windows XP.

Reply to
cl

This is the program I'm talking about

- known to its users as WYSIWYG or just WB9..

True - but there's a lot more 'support' in the web editor I mentioned - and reverse engineering the html files back into another dev environment will involve a lot of work

OK - thanks - will do Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Plus the ability to spin up another server at a moment's notice.

Reply to
Huge

Fairy nuff!

Wasn't so much the actual content - but the fact that they'd arrived via email (e.g. Tbird under Linux) and then have to find their way into 'somewhere' that the Win-based web editor could find them...

I see.. Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I have to use a heavily locked down Win 7 for my every day job. Compared to my personal Linux machine, it's like having had my arms and legs cut off.

Reply to
Huge

Might also be worth looking at Amaya;

Huge

I don't know, hence asking, because I don't know what you're doing to the slides. But, presumably, the Epson software is automating the clean-up using some kind of "intelligence". Gimp may very well be able to do similar.

Reply to
Adrian

I have Virtualbox installed and have a shared folder on both my linux and virtalised win7 desktops. What goes into one is also in the other, completely automatically. :)

Reply to
mick

The problem is that WYSIWYG isn't really applicable to web pages; WYSINWIG due to varying screen sizes, browsers and user preferences.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You have to code carefully to cope with differing screen resolutions, but I found it surprising how well it's possible to manage it. You can't cater for user preferences though.

For my (admittedly very basic) web pages I only test in Firefox and Opera. I figured out that if Microsoft couldn't be bothered sticking to HTML standards then I certainly wasn't going to attempt to make my sites compatible with all their different versions of IE. I've had very few comments so I must be doing something right (or my readers are just apathetic. :) ).

I stopped bothering designing my pages from scratch a while ago. I changed (temporarily) to modifying the code produced by http://

then, because the free hosting is plenty big enough for my needs, changed again to wordpress.com. I don't need anything special, so it's fine for me.

Reply to
mick

Are you sure your son doesn't manage hundreds of Redhat clients on VMware hosts? Or when you say hosts do you mean on VMware hosts, managing via an RH desktop?

Reply to
Clive George

Ah right - I guess that's what I was asking... Thanks

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

You shouldn't have to. HTML was never intended to describe appearance.

Reply to
Huge

Unfortunately it does now though. :( HTML was never intended to be used on pages where text flows round images, or where someone wants a menu down the side of a page. We seem to have moved on - but in the wrong direction.

Reply to
mick