Lino tiles removal

Some advice would be grateful on how to remove very stubborn lino tiles.

These are old and most are stuck like the proverbial to the concrete floor below. Has anyone here got a tried and tested method of removing these. Is it a paint scraper and wood chisel job, would a concrete planer work, oxyacetylene, any more?

Reply to
Fred

Garden spade? If they're that stubborn, do they have to come off at all?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Wall paper steam stripper...

If they're old then they're most likely to crack and break up into peices as you remove them. They'll most likely leave horrible nasty gloopy glue bits, almost resembling a mixture of tree sap and tar.

I found the wall paper steamer worked a treat when removing the ones from our kitchen.

Seri

Reply to
Seri

or a powered version like

TrunkY

I would agree not all the vinyl are equal, some are less stubborn than others. In fact in one area they are loose, so leaving them isn't really an option!

Reply to
Fred

Wall paper steam stripper...

If they're old then they're most likely to crack and break up into peices as you remove them. They'll most likely leave horrible nasty gloopy glue bits, almost resembling a mixture of tree sap and tar.

I found the wall paper steamer worked a treat when removing the ones from our kitchen.

I did wonder about heat but this would only work if the glue was heat sensisitve. Many thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
Fred

Many thanks for some ideas.

Reply to
Fred

I've seen vinyl tiles in a B&Q being lifted & replaced by contractors. They used a 'weed gun' - like a blowlamp on a stick to soften the tiles until the edges started to curl, the a long handled floor scraper to lift the tile.

Two blokes doing it as a team, had it down to a fine art. I reckon it was one of those things that looked easier than it actually was. Bit of a knack to it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Stuart Noble coughed up some electrons that declared:

Either Jewsons or Travis Perkins sell a spade that's almost totally flat with a sharp square edge. The builder chap who did some of my jobs lent me his to scrape various tiles off the floor.

In conjunction with heat as may be necessary (mentioned by others), it's probably the least painful method.

Cheers

Tim

PS

It's the one on the right:

in action, with some easier than lino tiles:

Tim S

In my opinion getting the tiles is not the main problem, it is getting the adhesive off, especially if (as mine are) it is bitumen.

Reply to
Broadback

Older tiles might contain asbestos:

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Sorry - don;t have the original post to reply to:

For the actual scraping, I've used a sharp flat spade with a lot of success.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S