Lino on unlevel floorboards

I pulled the laminate up from our bathroom floor to replace it with lino. The floor isn't in bad condition but there are a couple of boards which are thinner than the rest, unnoticable before but now more obvious when you step there. It isn't bothering me enough to warrant doing anything drastic but I have wondered about 'plastering' over the depressed parts with something. I guess it would have to be something uncrumbly, any ideas on something that would work well? Best I can come up with is a bit of tarmac :)

Ta.

Reply to
R D S

Cover it with a sheet[s] of WPB (marine) plywood of a suitable thickness and screwed down at the edges and middle of the board[s] to enable it to be lifted if necessary.

NB: At a pinch, you could even do the same thing with hardboard!

BTW "plastering" over the boards is not generally a good idea for a number of reasons.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I tihnk green (water resistant) chipboard would be cheaper than ply. Hardboard has often been used for this sort of thing. Replacing the bad boards is also an option!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Is the gap small enough that a few sheets of folded newspaper will fill it? Feather it out over a larger area with fewer sheets.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Oooh, now that's an idea.

Reply to
R D S

Either lift the low boards and add packers on the joists to bring them up level, or screw 6 or 9mm WBP ply down all over.

Reply to
John Rumm

2mm mdf just on the thin boards maybe? Covering the whole floor creates a step at the doorway, and would probably mean trimming the door. Depends what the OP means by "drastic" :-)
Reply to
stuart noble

I doubt I could get anything 'bob on' so if I was to start screwing stuff onto the boards I would probably end up with raised bits. As I said I am not bothered or I would replace the questionable boards or board over the lot (which would involve taking the bog out again, which is where I can't be arsed), my only concern is that I hope to sell the house in a few months and what doesn't bother me might bother a potential buyer. I wondered if there was some sort of glob which would set hard but not break up that I could spread over the offending areas.

Reply to
R D S

Plaster with lashings of pva mixed in might do it

Reply to
stuart noble

Flexible floor tile adhesive designed for wooden floors...

Reply to
John Rumm

You mention a couple of boards being "low" but what about gaps between the boards...are there any cos they'll show up just as badly after a while of it being walked on . As others have suggested boarding the whole floor is probably the only solution.

Reply to
fictitious

Dear RDS Under such circumstances surely the appropriate course of action is to raise the two boards and plate the joists below with suitable shims of thin ply so the boards are now level.

17th and early 18th C houses normally had each area of contact with the joist in a board planed across the grain to allow the exact fit which is why it was so important to label such boards when lifting and relaying so they all went in the right place. Chris
Reply to
mail

But then he'd have to lift the WC

Reply to