Link detached houses and property boundaries ?

If understand correctly, property boundaries usually run through the middle of walls with terraced and semi-detached houses, but what about link-detached houses?

In this sketch for example, which of the 2 property boundaries is most likely?

If it's relevant, the garage roofs are supported by beams set into the walls of the 2 adjoining houses.

Reply to
FullyDetached

aka "terraced" houses.

"Link detached", my arse. If you can't walk round it, it isn't detached.

Reply to
Huge

I was thinking about a flying freehold type of property, with two houses linked by a bedroom across a shared alleyway. I saw one on Downs Road recently.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Property line at edge of wall with a right of support to the beam for the attached garage belonging to the neighbour.

... would be the simple way of doing it, but you're probably in England where they haven't quite sorted out property law yet.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Ours is similar the bungalow is linked to the next by a car port. The suppo rting beams are attached to our fascia boards on that side and the top felt layer extends under the the second row of roof tiles. There is a covenant in the deeds that states we are only part liable for the downspout and gutt er as it drains that side of our roof into a gully on the neighbours side a s well as the flat roof of the car port. The covenant also makes provision for access for maintenance of the wall and fascia as well as access to the sewers which pass from our property and link to the neighbours sewer at a m an hole on his drive. As far as any other responsibility for the car port r oof that is entirely the neighbours responsibility only that we have to all ow him to join onto our roof as is the case now.

The car port roof already has a few leaks and the neighbour has indicated h e would remove it rather than replace or repair if it got worse. If he did remove the car port technically it would leave part of our roof, fascia and any guttering that would have to be installed there over the neighbours pr operty, wether that would mean any amendment to the covenant I am not sure but I am sure there are plenty of lawyers willing to relieve me of some of our money to sort it out.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It's a term estate agents have thought up for the particular design.

Reply to
harry

Typical liars - a link is, generally, used for /attaching/, so a row of these would be a terrace.

Reply to
PeterC

In message , Huge writes

There is a large house near here, with roads on three sides. The house began life as detached, with fairly substantial grounds, and entrances from two roads, one at front, the other behind. Years ago, part of the rear of the house was converted to a self contained granny annexe which was subsequently extended. Rear entrance from road behind now serves only the annexe. The owner of the large house moved from that house to the annexe, then sold the house via a large, very well known national estate agent who marketed the house as detached. Detached? How can it possibly be described as detached?

Reply to
News

My house is a semi, but is about four bricks higher than the other half. This means that my roof extends beyond the centreline of the party wall, or does it? I don't recall any special mention in the deeds.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Loads of Wates link detached chalets in my old BCO patch of New Malden - you can walk round them and they're joined to next door by an arch. Legend had it that when built in the 1930s the rates were less because they were classed as semi-detached, being joined to another property.

Tony Bryer

That's a terrace to me. It's not a flying freehold either - the passageway probably belongs to the same house as the bedroom, and the other will have a right of way.

There's a house down the road from us with a flying freehold. One room's ceiling is the other house's bedroom floor.

AIUI link detached has a garage joining them - so no adjacent habitable rooms.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I've seen link-detached houses where the garages sit between and join the houses. That's not too bad as they are practically detaches from a noise POV assuming noone uses their garage as a drum shed!

Reply to
Tim Watts

"Link detached" is an estate agent's term for a posh terraced house.

Reply to
Huge

Round here they use "palisaded villa" for that, "link detached" as other have mentioned generally seems to be applied to houses that are attached only via garages or car-ports, and it does seem worth having a term for that.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just because you can walk round it, it still isn't necessarily detached.

OTOH, IMO, if you can see the neighbours, they're too close.

Reply to
Huge

We've got one; "terraced".

(BTW, I'm just fighting a likely losing battle against "estate agent speak". Probably prompted by the fact I'm presently engaged in the depressing task of looking for a house to retire to.)

Reply to
Huge

The neighbours at the side are too close then.

The ones at the bottom - well, I've seen a helicopter go between us :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Give it time, they've only been muddling through for 950 years.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

Town house - please or better still mews.

Reply to
bert

What does "deceptively large" mean? Bigger than it looks or not as big as it looks?

Reply to
bert