Linda Barker on Working Lunch

Neverwas, indeed, "inherited" legislation rarely gets reversed :-(

Re "Rogue Trader & Cowboy Builder" programs, they target real abuse.

The companies have already pheonixed more times than a politician changes policy. They will just change the name to one already "bought off the shelf". If banned from being a director they will simply get a relative or employee to act as same.

Such companies screw both customers AND suppliers. Suppliers losing =A312-120k on a bad customer do not expand, do fire staff, do close more marginal operations affecting market share & growth, do suffer lousy credit costs re lost working capital, do get shagged by factoring system requirements.

Rogue Central Heating Repairer.

- Walks in door - "You Need A New Boiler / System"

- "It is your muffler bearing - You Need A New Part"

- "Did Not Fix it - You Need Another New Part"

- Several hundred pound later...

Rogue FAKE Electrician.

- Walks in - Can't Find N-E short in back of socket

- Fits ANCIENT 4-module RCD when no RCD faulty

- Does NOT perform basic installation IR test or RCD test

- NO correct certification provided for SAFETY device change

Rogue Driveway Tarmac.

- Turns up - lays thin tarmac *directly over paving slabs*

- Collects money

- Present physically *rolls up tarmac like carpet*

Rogue Builder.

- Loft conversion without lintel (RSJ, UB) over the window

- Entire roof sags visibly distorting window

Rogue Builder.

- Sticks NON-waterproof loft insulation in a cavity wall

- Occupant left with damp & unmortgageable house

- Walls StrongBoy'd because Inner holding roof/floors

- Inner leaf (wall) has to be *demolished* to remove it

Rogue Builder.

- House left a ruin of cracks

- Person will have to walk away, losing everything

- Put on the Council Housing Waiting List

Rogue Driveway.

- Insufficient hardcore, insufficient MOT, insufficient tarmac

- We do work for motorways... urinating at the kerbside?

Such programs have shown outright, "stir the tools, take you to the financial cleaners, leave you with a bill bigger than the original job to redo the job right AND fix the damage they caused".

Case in point. Many pensioners still "live under a duvet". The house is heated when the relatives turn up, but freezing thereafter. Worse often because the now superheated chimney sucks cold air through the house overnight creating an ice-box the following day & icy cold floors to really help that borderline blood clot that is malingering in backside, behind the knee, in calves, feet.

Often they can afford Gas Central Heating but refuse flat out to have it for 1) risk of flood from bad installation 2) risk of future bills & maintenance 3) risk of regulation change requiring extensive & expensive repairs (likely re Lobbyist become Cash-For-Legislation become Stakeholder-Write-Gravy-Policy Society) 4) insurance schemes do not cover replacement boilers 5) Boiler quality varies from atrocious- mid-priced to excellent-only-a-bit-more BUT where the installer will "I'm not installing a Vaillant, I want a Potterton PCB-Blow-Me-Bank- Balance-Up-Quick" or "I'm not installing Tracpipe, I want 50 solder joints to set fire to your curtains / wallpaper / carpet and keep me in labour longer than most labour party leaders" (Gordon Brown throws a hammer at the wall).

They do not trust the "Warmup" schemes because a) the invoiced figure is inflated so requiring a high contribution b) they can not choose the installer c) the work is often... bleedin awful because of truly Hard-To-Install houses d) the cost of install is nothing compared to repaired decoration & wiring from "man with a drill and cables not in zones or cables in zones but braincell not present". The thing SHOULD be a proper grant system where you choose the installer - such as one listed under Age Concern. Likewise grants for internal insulation - Proctor "Aerogel" is very good re thickness of just 35mm re "no room by doors & stairs" but expensive so can't get economy of scale or availability (catch-22).

My mother is one such pensioner, although not for much longer. Makes do with a grossly undersized storage heater (not for much longer re 2x Duoheat soon with spares too I might add) and crap insulation (not for much longer re solid walls being insulated as I type badly with Keraquick & expanding foam on my fingers, and at last the roof has been done, but ceiling & loft door plaster wrecked so another job). Other pensioners merely hide under a duvet and start to eat junk food - donuts are a short trip to full diabetes from marginal age- related, then self-service-hospital, then slumped-in-a-chair-in-a-care- home.

So no, the programs have been targetting the right rip-off merchants. The GOOD thing about GAS SAFE & PART P is that they give *legal means* to go after them - before even with Trading Standards in the next room it was all pretty useless.

Realise cowboys are always given a chance to say "ok, it's crap, I'll do it again but properly". Instead when the cameras come out they are seen wheel spinning off down the road in Black Mitsubishi L200 Truck with "Pensioner Screwed Tally" on the side or Black Audi S4.

BBC has shown nanny protectionism throughout its history, nothing new. People must be told how to think. Fine if you want to also have the job - and cost - of eventually wiping their backside.

Reply to
js.b1

I'm fascinated by the idea that the electorate can influence *any* single issue. Our much hyped and self-righteously promoted democracy is no more than a sham.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Sadly there is much truth in that... The exception seems to be when the electorate can organise themselves into groups and then apply pressure. Alas the most common organisation tends to be a corporation, and then the goals are not always in the best interest of the electorate at large.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Usenet Nutter writes

Not as good as that stupid doctor roman on breakfast TV who said you should only buy boiler parts from a CORGI registered CH supplier

Reply to
geoff

Did any urinate in the header tank? (as on the UK programme)

I happened to stumble across "cowboy builders" the other day on the TV. Disgusting work by the original "builders" but the remedial work in one case, although several orders of magnitude better than the original, would not have been acceptable to my standards.

Reply to
<me9

It amazes me how pressure groups can influence Govmint. Green movement is a prime eample, animal rights another.

The real danger however is the large multinationals who change peoples lives by extensive PR.

Statins are a prime example, the pharmacutical giants have influenced the medical profession to the extent that they prescribe billions of pounds worth of a by & large unproven drug which has unpleasant side effects.

'Five a day', 'drink two litres of water a day' 'twenty units of alcohol a week'. The list is endless and all based on bad science.

Don't even get me started on the passive smoking bollox. The multinational pharmacutical giants are making more money from 'giving up' products than the tobacco companies make from producing the product.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

To put it into perspective you have to look at the percentage of 'cowboys' compared to acceptable builders who do the job properly, then take into account the idiot customers who went for the absolute cheapest quote they could find, on the grounds that 'they have rights' and can always 'get compensation'.

A TV show about a builder who did the job properly, on time & within budget isn't going to get ratings. And that's what the completely unscrupulous TV producers want above all else.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

When the workman does something too embarrassing they blur out his face. However the name of the company is shown. Invariably the company says that "he no longer works there." It might be sad if he loses his job. But almost always he has also done a poor job as a tradesman. Perhaps he will improve or stop doing inappropriate things in future. Or sell panties for a living. I always assume that I am being videoed. I know I am, around home (where I have 8 CCTV cameras to catch crooks) or at work.

I do use a professional for significant electrical work, and I won't have gas in my house. I've called the fire brigade twice for a major gas leak in the house next door.

Reply to
Matty F

We tend not to have header tanks here. I've only ever seen one, and only because I was fixing it after a tradesman had failed. I don't understand the need for them, since there are better and cheaper ways of getting the pressure right.

Yes Target has shown a tradesman (with face blurred out) urinating in the shower several times, and many panty sniffers.

Reply to
Matty F

To be fair, I probably haven't put a plug on anything myself in the best part of ten years. So anyone who's been at school recently could quite conceivably never have to do so in the rest of their lives.

Reply to
Calum

That's a bit harsh surely? If I had the option of mains gas, I'd have it doing heating/hot water in a shot. I've got propane cylinders doing the hob, since I like cooking with it.

So you make sure the gas bits are all done well. It's not actually that hard, and you can always check what an installer has done. Yes, it can be screwed up, and there is potential for a big bang if you really try hard, but mostly people are competent enough to not get near that.

Reply to
Clive George

The last time I bought one, it came with clear instructions.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Contractors managed to dig through the gas main, twice. The first time I had told the digger operator where the pipe was. When he ignored me I phoned the fire brigade and told them to get ready. I phoned all the gas companies, who refused to take responsibility. An hour later all the neighbours and I phoned the fire brigade because of the huge smell of gas and the loud hissing noise.

Reply to
Matty F

Tee hee :-) That's not really a reason to avoid gas in your own home though.

Reply to
Clive George

It's not economic to use mains gas in New Zealand. There may be a slight saving over electric power but the monthly gas supply charge more than wipes out any saving. In addition if I *don't* have an electric water heater that the power company can turn off at peak times, I will be charged more for all the power that I do use. My annual power bill is around NZ$1500 (GPB 670). That includes electric heating and heating water, and running loads of computers, and cooking roast dinners etc. Hmm, I think I will have roast pork tonight :)

Reply to
Matty F

Ah, you'll have to forgive me for assumptions made based on the NG titles :-)

(over here, if you've got access to gas, the numbers are significantly in favour of gas. And the electric competition is generally storage heaters, which are shit IME - I'd rather have solid fuel, and was very glad to take the lumps off the wall.)

Reply to
Clive George

I have been taken statins for years and the only (side)-effect I've noticed is a dramatic lowering of my cholesterol levels.

Ian

Reply to
Ian F.

They're not about getting the pressure right.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

What are they for? Breeding mosquitoes and cockroaches and rats? Putting lots of weight on the ceiling so it collapses?

Reply to
Matty F

Not everyone has been so lucky, Ian!

Reply to