lime rendering onto plaster

Hello,

I wonder if someone could help me. I'd like to render a couple of interior walls with a lime/sand mix. The walls have old plaster on them which is very tedious to scrape off. Is it necessary? Does it matter if some is left on the wall? I've got a feeling I heard somewhere that gyps and lime are not really compatable.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
gateauauchocolat

Why are you using lime? It'll be OK over gypsum as long as the wall is dry. The problems come patch-plastering lime mortar with gypsum.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

only need remove what isnt sound

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Was the building originally plastered with lime and has since had gypsum plaster patches?

The gypsum patches in my house didn't key terribly well to the lime, belted it a few times with a hammer and it came away in slabs. New lime then keyed beautifuly to the old lime.

If the gypsum is sound, I'd think about roughening the surface to improve key, but otherwise to leave it.

Reply to
dom

It's normally perfectly OK for a day or two!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In my case the gypsum plaster being self-detaching was very pleasing to me - I didn't put it in, and I wanted shot of it.

Reply to
dom

I'm using lime because I prefer it, and anyway if I tried to do any plastering I'm sure I'd only make a mess of it. I've a lot of respect for plasterers!

I'm surprised that you say the wall needs to be dry, I was thinking that I would need to wet the wall as plaster is so porous.

Thanks to all, Alistair.

Reply to
gateauauchocolat

So long as the substrate is sound (very important) then key it up enthusiastically, damp it down well (cos it will be bone dry), paint over with limewash (ye traditional PVA) and start plastering

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

I meant that the wall should be normally dry, i.e. not a generally damp one.

Reply to
Chris Bacon