lightweight threaded flange ?

I was going to get a couple of these for the stairs:

But a bit expensive for what they are since the bolt and washer are nothing special. An internet search for "threaded flange" shows up various heavyweight components, but anyone know where I can get a threaded flange like the one with the handrail fixing kit ?

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

components, but anyone know where I can get a threaded flange like the one with the handrail fixing kit ?

Make one by welding a nut to a steel plate?

Reply to
Roger Mills

ponents, but anyone know where I can get a threaded flange like the one wit h the handrail fixing kit ?

Don`t know if these are strong enough or if they will sell in a small enough quantity for you.You could ask for a couple of samples.

mark

components, but anyone know where I can get a threaded flange like the one with the handrail fixing kit ?

Unfortunately I have no welding skills or equipment !

I've found these:

which are probably a bit larger than I need, I'd estimate 40mm flange radius seeing as the thread is M8 - probably a bit big to recess into the handrail.

I think the original option of these:

are probably more like M6 and radius more like 25-30mm.

These types ("insert nuts") are more commonly available:

in screwfix, etc.

I think the type with 3 screws would be stronger though.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

components, but anyone know where I can get a threaded flange like the one with the handrail fixing kit ?

seeing as the thread is M8 - probably a bit big to recess into the handrail.

The flange on the original one you quoted has to be recessed into the newel post rather than the handrail, with only the central boss going into the rail. If you do these the same way, that gives you a bit more scope - but it will look a bit odd of the flange isn't completely covered by the end of the rail.

Afterthought: The screws still have to go into the rail, of course - so maybe it doesn't give you that much more scope!

Reply to
Roger Mills

nothing special.

components, but anyone know where I can get a threaded flange like the one with the handrail fixing kit ?

seeing as the thread is M8 - probably a bit big to recess into the handrail.

I actually need to recess the flange into the handrail in any case, since my goal is to have removable (just about !) handrail + spindles + baserail, in order that the long sofa can be removed from the front room one day. There's no reason I can see why the flange cannot be recessed into the handrail along with the spigot.

I'll probably just get the handrail kit anyway, since it's small fry compared to the whole job ;->

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson