lightswitch with neons: does it exist?

Hello,

I want to switch two lights that are outdoors. Because they are remote from the switch I would like a neon on the switch to remind me the light is on. If I needed a one-gang switch I could use a spur with neon but I am after a 2-gang switch with two neons; does such a thing exist?

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 17:24:16 +0000 someone who may be Stephen wrote this:-

You can make what you want with grid components, MK and Crabtree produce ranges, though you will need a double box. I have never seen a two gang light switch with neons, though I do have a (very old) single gang light switch with neon.

Reply to
David Hansen

They're not available as ordinary light switches because any indicator which lights when on requires a neutral return. Not a problem on an FCU because the neutral is always present - but isn't normally at a light switch.

If you can provide an neutral, the easiest way to get what you require is to assemble it from grid switch components. But this would mean a two gang size plate for two switches plus two indicators.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its simple to fit neons to light switch plates. There are push through types that sit in a 1/4" hole, and larger ones, or you can use wire end neons and put the tips only into a 3mm hole in the face plate, gluing them in place. Neons need a series resistor, they're available with or without this.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A couple of ideas...

Use a dual box (not a double one; a dual box takes two single plates and is a fraction wider); then use two fused and neon-ed FCUs. You'll need to take neutrals down to the switches though.

Use the neons that fit between the switchplate and the box (i.e. are a plastic rectangle with a neon in them). These are usually used to show the location of a switch when it is off (when they need no neutral) but you could use a double pole switch to provide a connection point, and see if two of them will fit. You won't necessrily be able to see which of them is 'on', but the switch position will tell the user that! This could all be done with a single box if you use a two gang DP switch (and can find one).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Doesn't the position of the toggle tell you that?

Can't say I've ever seen anything. Make something from grid switch bits?

K4896NWHI MK Grid Switch 1 Way Double Pole & Neon 20 amp

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Na, you can get grid switches with built in neons now, all manner of kitchen type engravings (and blank). See my other post with a MK reference number.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If that's good enough, there are switches with a red patch that becomes visible when in the on position.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Or even a red (or what ever colour you like) marker pen. Much cheaper than a grid switch set up which appears to be the only neatish solution.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Don't they usually light up in the "off" position. Usually the neon is wired across the switch contacts - otherwise a neutral is needed.

Reply to
John

I think you will find that putting a neon across the switch will cause it to light when a normal bulb is present as it will provide a low enough impedance to neutral for the neon to work. I doubt if it will work with a CFL.

Reply to
dennis

I hadn't appreciated that; thanks, I'll have to think more about it.

Reply to
Stephen

Only if you remember to look closely; I thought a red neon glowing in the dark might be more attention-grabbing.

Reply to
Stephen

You beat me to it, I was about to ask whether CFLs would flicker when wired like this.

Reply to
Stephen