Lights on the wrong circuit?

I discovered that I have a couple lights in my house (and their switch) which are run off the downstairs outlet circuit, not the downstairs lighting circuit.

I think this was done purely out of convenience as the switch is located right next to an outlet (yes, down by the skirting board) though I haven't examined how it is actually wired yet.

So - Is it correct that this is incorrect? Or is this an okay thing to do for some reason?

Regardless, since it exists, should I be concerned about this? Should I do something like put the switch and lights on a lower amp fuse somehow (still off the same circuit)? Or should I just leave it alone?

Thanks David

Reply to
Dave

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:43:23 -0000, Dave mused:

Depends how it's wired. As long as it's fused down from the socket outlet circuit via something like a switched fused connection unit then it's fine. It may be a bit inconvenient, but as long as everything is fused correctly then there's nothing really wrong with it.

Judging only from the contents of this post I'd say you'd be better leaving it well alone. The simple solution is a fused spur, which you appear not to have heard of.

Reply to
Lurch

If it has been correctly fused at the point the power is taken from the circuit then it is fine. (the socket circuit will probably be protected by a 32A circuit breaker in the consumer unit - this will be too large a rating to adequately protecting the light fitting and any wiring to it).

You would usually have something like this before the switch:

as a retrofit, you could simply replace the switch with a fused version:

John Rumm

Great, thanks John that is what I was hoping to hear. The switch may actually be of the type you describe though it doesn't quite have that appearance.

David

Reply to
Dave