lighting up a wardrobe

Hello. I am looking into placing four lights over four doors of a wooden wardrobe . It is an IKEA wardrobe and it comes with four separate lights connected to four transformers which each need to be connected to a plug. My main concerns are circuit-wise:

- managing to turn on all lights if any of the doors open (would be nice to have only the above light to turn on but let's keep it simple)

- security \ power usage issue: where to interrupt the power with the switch which is controlled by the door? If it is positioned "before" the plugs and transformers the circuit going around all doors of the wardrobe will be high voltage (security issues), while if I position it after the transformers, could four 12 v transformers permanently connected to the power line lead to excessive power wastes (not to say I would need four switches arghh!)

- would it be best to have a single transformer for all lights (would it work?)

- any other issue I have not foreseen

- should I study some book on electric circuits? (of course)

Thanks for your help.

stonefist

Reply to
bucodav

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 07:58:44 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com mused:

That is simple, one switch for each light.

Anything below 1000V AC is low voltage. If you could high voltage running round your wardrobes I'd be surprised!

It wouldn't be a noticeable amount, if any at all.

Not really.

Reply to
Lurch

Your switches need to be on the mains side. Unless you can find 16A door activated switches (or whatever power youre using).

I dont see mains cable being a security issue. Fitting the switches at the top of the doors and running all cable along the top would keep it out of harms way if you store sharp things in there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

just to get the idea...

bucodav

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:09:23 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com mused:

now.

Reply to
Lurch

Hi,

Are the lighting power supplies pretty heavy as if they contain a lump of steel, or light as if they contain just a PCB?

If the latter then they're almost definitely a 'switched mode' type.

These consume next to no power when no load is connected, so you could have a switch on the low voltage side without wasting power when the lights are off.

If the power supply is an old style transformer type then a switched mode one won't cost very much.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C