(Lighting) Supplier of R63 reflector CFLs but "100W equivalent"?

Does anyone know where to buy R63 reflector CFLs that are described as "100 W equivalent" or actually around 18 to 20 W?

I haven't been able to find anything higher than 11 W ("60 W equivalent") in R63.

Thanks, Adam

Reply to
Adam Funk

R63 isn't available as a 100W filament lamp anyway. To match output of a 100W reflector lamp using folded tube CFL technology would require a 25-30W CFL, which you won't find in R63 size.

The only CFL which gives similar output to a 100W filament flood lamp is the 23W GE Genura. Actually, it exceeds a

100W filament lamp output by around 10%, but it's an R80. It uses a different technology from standard CFLs and is unfortunately quite expensive as a result.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have one in the anglepoise lighting my workbench. Although I'm happy enough with it I'd dispute it exceeds the visible output of a 100 watt filament type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe yours is worn out? Unless they overheat, they almost never die (not having any electrodes to wear out), they just dim when they've exceeded their life rating. Also note they are flood lamps, so the centre beam will be dimmer than a filament spotlamp because of the wider beam angle.

The first time I used them was to replace a row of 100W reflector lamps in downlighters down a corridor in an office block. They were sufficiently brighter than the 100W lamps that they drew a number of comments from people who hadn't realised the lighting had been changed and wondered what had happened.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It shouldn't be - its usage hours ain't that great yet.

The fitting is only ever warm to the touch - one reason for using it.

It replaced a non reflector bulb as an anglepoise has its own.

Perhaps the old bulbs were very dirty?

I'll see if I can dig out a light meter and measure mine.

However I'd not put off anyone using them - they are far closer in output to what they say on the box than other low energy lamps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know. I've got some R63 60W fittings and I'm one of those people who don't find a "60W equivalent" CFL (for example) to be really equivalent to a 60W incandescent. I like CFLs otherwise, so I try to get around it by using a higher "equivalent" rating or upgrading to a fixture that holds more lamps. (I replaced the single 100W pendant in my dining room with a ceiling fixture that now has three "60W equivalent" CFLs; the room is now much better lit for less energy.)

I suspected there might be a technical reason I hadn't been able to find one.

I'm almost certain an R80 won't fit in the fixtures I have in mind. Thanks for the information!

Reply to
Adam Funk