lighting dilema

I have an illuminated display cabinet in my lounge. At present the light has to be switched on manually at the socket. Is there a way that I can have it coming on automatically when I switch on the wall lights?. The problem is I cannot wire into the lighting circuit, so I would require some sort or remote/radio solution. Is there anything like this available?

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

Retrofitting, given the constraint you specify, would be a challenge.

Radio X10 switches are available which you can stick on the wall next the the existing switch, and then use an X10 radio receiver plugged in somewhere, and an X10 lamp or appliance module (looks like a plug-in timeswitch) with your display cabinet lighting. X10 is a signalling protocol for remote operation of mains lighting and appliances (and can be used for other things too). The X10 signal can be carried by radio signal and can be transmitted over mains wiring between X10 transmitters and receivers.

I have exactly the same situation, but I did rewire my lighting circuit. All the light switches are now inputs to a home automation system. The lights on the lighting circuit are then all operated by relay outputs from the home automation system, and all lamps plugged in to socket outlets are operated from the home automation system via X10. One of my living room light switches is currently programmed to turn on one light on the lighting circuit and two X10 driven lamps plugged in to regular socket outlets, one of which is an illuminated display cabinet. I don't actually use the radio form of X10 anywhere.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel