lighting circuits and insulation

My lighting circuits are a mixture of 1mm^2 and 1.5mm^2 T&E, so ignore the fatter cable and just worry about the thinner stuff. The worst case reference method in insulation is 10A, correct? Just talking about the switch cables, rather then the loop-in/out between roses, so only carrying load of individual light fittings rather than the whole of the downstairs lighting circuit (6A MCB). two back boxes on oppsite sides of a stud wall, with a bunch of 5 cables in total, can I assume grouping factors don't apply as all the cables will be carrying less than the 30% of maximum circuit current? I suppose even if grouping applies, then factor of 0.6 of 10A is still 6A.

So in short, is it OK to have about 6' of lighting switch cables enclosed in insulation?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Worst case is 8A for 1.0 mm^2 for ref. method 103 (table 4D5).

The 30% factor applies to the grouped rating. So 0.6 (grouping for 5 bunched cables) * 8A gives a grouped rating of 4.8A, 30% of which is

1.4A - so any circuit handling So in short, is it OK to have about 6' of lighting switch cables

Yes, unless you've got some unusually high power lights...

Reply to
Andy Wade

So long as they have not got radiant heating elements built into the lamp fittings, yes ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

+1, But I never did get to the bottom of the 4mm T&E rating when used as per method 103.
Reply to
ARW

Thought so, thanks.

Reply to