Lighting circuit wiring at CU mcb

The girlfriends house is fitted with an old Memera 21 consumer unit and about 2 years ago one of the 5amp MCB's for the lighting tripped and wouldn't reset (not sure if it was the circuit for the upstairs or downstairs). She got someone to look at it who said the MCB was faulty and as they couldn't get hold of another one connected both the up & downstairs lighting on the one remaining 5amp lighting MCB. They don't make these breakers anymore but I got hold of an identical one from the net (M6 5amp

51QEB Type 1).

No problem fitting the new breaker but I'm just a bit confused about the wiring. There were 3 red live wires connected to the one working 5amp lighting mcb. Through process of elimination I established which wire was for the upstairs lights - and with just that one wire connected there is no voltage showing at the other reaming 2 wires. However, if remove that wire and connect one of the other 2 wires I get lighting for downstairs and also mains voltage showing at the 3rd remaining wire (and vice versa, if I connect just the 3rd wire I get power for downstairs lights and also mains voltage showing at wire 2. I've connected the one wire that operates the upstairs lights to the new 5amp mcb and the other 2 wires for downstairs (which seem to be looped) connected both together to the existing 5amp mcb. Just wanted to make sure if this is correct as I wasn't sure why 2 of the wires power the downstairs and just one for upstairs?

Reply to
Redwood

I would guess that the landing light is borrowing a neutral from the downstairs lighting circuit.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

ok, so that on one MCB...

and if you disconnect 2 & 3 and measure the resistance between them, then what do you get?

Could be someone has wired one circuit as a ring... or dome something creative with a two way switched light.

Reply to
John Rumm