Lighting a landing via skylight

I want to get some natural light into an internal landing. There's very little space above the bedroom doors which could be used for glass window; and I don't fancy half-glazed doors; so the following occurred to me...
The landing has an access hatch into the loft. How about I replace the MDF trapdoor (it just drops in) with a timber frame, holding a pane of toughened, frosted glass? Or a double-glazed unit for better insulation? I then install a skylight in the tiled roof above the hatch. I could attach a couple of sheets of white-painted hardboard to the attic wall above the hatch, to help reflect light down.
Is this a totally stupid idea, or a good one?! I can see it might get grubby easily, and heat loss could be an issue.
I remember you used to see glass roof tiles - are these still around and could they be used simply to replace normal tiles? I wouldn't want a swish Velux window (wouldn't need it to open) - are there cheapie, easy-to-install fixed skylights available?
TIA David

Acrylic translucent tiles are certainly available in the 'Redland 49' concrete tile style but are rather expensive at 10 each.
Don't forget that you will need to remove any underfelting.
Andrew Mawson

You might need planning permission and building regs approval too :-(
Paul
On 12 Nov 2003 12:08:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) wrote:

Have a look at light pipes such as http://www.light-pipe.co.uk/main.htm
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:39:50 +0000, Peter Parry wrote:

Also http://www.monodraught.com/sunpipe.htm
from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) contains these words:

A lady I work for had a similar arrangement built into her new bungalow. A Velux window in the roof, and below that a double-glazed "skylight" built into the floor of her attic, brings a lot of natural light into an internal hallway. It works well.
--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Yes good idea - not unusual - quite often done in larger victorian or georgian houses. You would need access to clean both sky lights.You would also gain a light roof space/attic.
Cheers
Jacob