Lightening dark stained beams?

Sounds like you need a magician. Will TMH do?

Reply to
stuart noble

In message , Lobster writes

Scrape it off and sand the beam. Here is one I did earlier:-)

That was *Darkaline* on pitch pine.

The *joists* are superficial: old pine, grit blasted and then screwed to the underside of the real floor joists.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

replying to stuart noble, tonya_davidson wrote: what is "washing soda"?

Reply to
tonya_davidson

Tim Watts

home owners hub needs to learn about google.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Somehow I think he person asking the question might not cope with an answer like Na2CO3 and would need counseling.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Lobster - did you ever get the beams sorted? just bought a cottage and every bloody room has dark beams in it. Any tips welcome

Reply to
RandyGarno

Blimey that was a long time ago... I remember in a very old building in the town centre here, the shop who leased te ground floor lightened the look of the beams and the people from the council told them it was a conservation area, and they should not have done so. Round that part of town you even need to ask the council what type and look of new windows you put in. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

buy a belt sander and a shed full of sanding papers for it

And learnto read calendars

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Err then you end up with _smooth_ beams which would not be at all in character. In fact some of ours have cracks inches deep which someone has carefully worked paint into.

I've heard the best technique is sand blasting, but using dry ice. And it required the house to be emptied.

With you there ;)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

What's between the beams? White painted plaster, or wattle and daub?

Reply to
Max Demian

White painted plaster. But it’s artex so will be looking to re plaster at some point in the future

Reply to
RandyGarno

BTDTGTTS.

It makes a godawful mess, and leaves the grain all scored. Better to belt sand and then add the grain in later with some coarse sandpaper!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

White paint.

Reply to