Lightening damage to phones

There was a hit 10 days agoo 5m from the house. The BT main box in the house went poof as did all the extensions from it (including the modem which had a surge protector on the line).

The BT engineer reckons the lines are ok but all the connections are melted. Is there anywhere online I can buy standard male and female connectors to wire in to save me buying loads of extensions and running them again through the loft and under carpets etc etc

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Dave,

Where are these "melted" connections? As I believe that the only connections are made inside the box on the back of the faceplate? If that is the case and everything else being well, then just replace the faceplates a couple of quid each from the local B & Q store.

If the connectors are gone on the end of the handset cables themselves then again a visit to the local B & Q should produce these with no problem.

With regards to the modem, if this was damaged AFTER whilst connected to a surge protector then ring up the manufacturers of the protector and claim for the cost of the modem under their guarantee.

Hope this helps

Bri

Reply to
Brian

I really can't see all the cable having melted - if there is a fault it's likely to be at the master box. And anything that's melted will be a tad obvious.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Your house insurance should cover the cost of having it replaced including professional installation.

-- snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Hi

Little unclear what you want. Do you mean 'loose' BT plugs and sockets, so you can snip off what is in the telephone extension cables you've already run and put new ones on?

You can certainly get new plugs from places like CPC and RS. You pop the wires in and use a crimping die and tool to pinch it all together. Various varieties of plug are available. Left and right hand latch, 4 or 6 contacts, etc.

I can't think of where I've seen the bits for replacing the socket end though. I'll have a look in the CPC catalogue if you ask. Alternatively you could probably use 'normal' miniture socket boxes as typically affixed to the wall. The will be a bit more obtrusive but that may not trouble you.

The cables you have run probably use stranded wire rather than solid cores, so screw down or solder terminations would be best/necessary if a new crimp socket can't be found. In other words, standard IDC punch down won't work for you.

Overall its going to be very fiddly and you'll probably be better off just replacing the lot from a time point of view. If its asthetics/making good then that's a diffeent thing.

HTH IanC

Reply to
Ian Clowes