Light wiring OK?

Hi all

I want to fit a switched wall light and would be grateful if someone could confirm whether my proposed wiring configuration will work OK and is kosher....

  1. Run a new, live 1.5mm^2 cable from a bedroom ceiling rose, vertically down the wall to switch position near the bed.

  1. Break into the neutral wire in this cable and connect the resulting two new ends to the L/N terminals of the wall light (a spotlight acting as a bedside light);

  2. Fit red sleeving (not brown, as I have an old stock of cable - did I mention I completed this particular project in 2004! Must have a problem with the datestamp on Outlook Express)) to the exposed black wire in the light, the one running down to the switch, and also to the other end of that wire where it's exposed within the switch.

  1. Red wire stays intact within the light fitting, ie it passes straight through it to the switch.

So does this sound OK? Was just wondering whether I should be breaking into the live wire at (2) above rather than the neutral...

Cheers Gonzo

Reply to
Gonzo

Make sure you connect it to the supply and not across the switch.

Don't forget to put green/yellow sleeving on the earth.

Yes it does

Certainly not - that would lead to the switch breaking the neutral rather than the live.

John

Reply to
John White

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:04:07 GMT someone who may be "Gonzo" wrote this:-

Depending on the construction of the spotlight and wall you may need to fit a box into the wall to complete the enclosure.

Reply to
David Hansen