light welding

I expect it could pass the MOT if the inspector didnt realise what it was, but you certainly shouldnt braze a car together, its inadequate. Welding is far stronger, and easy enough. Gasless wire is very easy to use, arc welders are much cheaper to buy and run, but not so easy to use, and they leave a right mess behind. BTW 40A is plenty for car work - many welders used on cars dont go low enough, make sure you get one that goes down to 15A.
Regards, NT
N. Thornton wrote:

Depends on how its used. Its very common on radiator repairs for example. Its perfectly OK for bodywork and exhausts. I would personally say that a seam brazed box section is stronger than a factory spot welded one.
The only place I would be shy of using it is on thick chassis members where I do agree that welding is teh ay to go.

It is on chassis. Even I can weld a chaissis. Its not easy on thin bodywork, and a poorly welded joint is worse than a well brazed one.
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:33:09 +0000, wrote:

I can recommend Cebora MIGs for light work. Had a small (enought to weld 3-4mm metal) MIG about 8 years ago. Bloody good machine in it's bracket. Smooth and reliable wire feed.
Cheers
Tim
--
Tim Southerwood