Light switch to switch mains socket

Can you wire a light switch so that it controls the power in an unswitched mains socket? When we have the loft converted we'd like to be able to control the bedside lamps from a switch at the door. This seems the obvious way to do it
ChrisJ

Not a 13A socket. However, you can get 2A or 5A round pin sockets that may be controlled by such a switch. Ensure they have shuttered contacts, though. I'm not sure if you're allowed a 2A socket on a 5/6A circuit without an FCU, but someone may be able to advise.
Alternatively, a 13A socket can be switched using a 20A DP switch. However, the switches available may be chunkier or not to your taste.
Christian.

You can -- I'm pretty sure you can have a BS548 2A socket on a circuit protected at up to 10A.
Another option would be a Klik lighting outlet which are available in architrave sized socket outlets.
--
Andrew Gabriel

You can use a 20 amp switch that looks just like a light switch to control a 13 amp socket spurred off a ring main.
--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

obvious
You must use dedicated 5A round pin small sockets for youre lamps, this can form part of the lighting circuit.

obvious
Why not take the plugs off the bedside lights and then wire them into the lighting circuit? From other responses you are going to have to change the plugs anyway if you want a plug and socket arrangement. I presume you could join the cable to the lighting circuit inside a standard wall box (as used for plug sockets) using a blanking plate with an entry for the wire from the bedside lamp. I presume that it is not much different from wiring in wall lights (although they usually have built in connection points for the lighting wiring). The sparks here may know of a reason why not, but seems to me that lighting is best on the lighting circuit if possible.
Cheers Dave R
ChrisJ wrote:

Yes, but its conventional to use 3A or 5A sockets, not 13A, so yoiu don't plug an electric fire in by mistake.