Light Sensitive Light Fittings

Has anybody use the type that fit into a bayonet fitting. I bought a couple to use when I am on holiday but they don't seem to be very reliable as they aren't coming on when it turns dark. If I then switch them off then on they will come on and off again at the preset time but then won't come on again when it gets dark. I am now thinking of fitting on the light switch one of those immersion heater timers.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

I had one of these some time ago .... IIRC, the unit had to inserted into the bayonet fitting - preferably during daylight - then the switch turned ON-OFF-ON rapidly, the lamp illuminated briefly then was turned 'off' by the ambient daylight. Once daylight dissapeared the lamp illuminated until dawn the following day. The lamp remained OFF until dusk time when it came ON, again.

Unfortunately the 'memory' only worked while power remained applied to the bayonet fitting.

Folks were always switching the damm thing OFF and the programming sequence needed to be undertaken once more. [ON-OFF-ON] I got fed up with the palaver and junked the device.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Is the light fitting reflecting too much light back onto the sensor causing it so switch itself back off.

Reply to
john

I dunno .... I was merely addressing the "Has anybody use the type that fit into a bayonet fitting" part of Kevin's post :) However, I'd expect the photo-sensor to be optimised for a more blue-ish part of the spectrum (daylight) rather than the red-yellow spectra of filament lamps. [You do the nanometre thingy] . The device certainly didn't switch itself OFF when the electric light was flinging photons ... but did switch itself OFF shortly after dawn and back ON about dusk. It was the fatigue of asking 'Who switched the light (circuit) OFF then?" and the resulting evasions 'Wasn't me ... must've been the cat ... " that made me junk it.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Why not just tape over the switch?

Reply to
Rob Morley

There are available at our local Morrisons, 24h/15min timers for 3.99 for 2. Add a couple of table lamps, and these may suit.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have got this unit:

OFF-ON-OFF sets (a) light sensitive mode or (b) permanently-on timed mode. The unit confirms which is which by flashing back either one or twice.

The light sensitive option usually seems ok, Although I tend to take off the lampshade to make sure the sensor gets enough light to work with.

They say don't use a dimmer with this.

Reply to
WM