Light fitting to batten

When I reposition my ceiling light fitting must I attach to a batten spanning 2 joists or can I fix a batten to the topside of the plasterboard ceiling.

Reply to
ss

I don't know the regulatory position, but if you slip while changing a bulb you could do a lot more damage with the latter method.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

This is in your bedroom. Do you swing from the chandelier?

I suspect that lots of ceiling roses are just screwed into the plasterboard.

Reply to
GB

No law stating not to use plasterboard ... but I would never fit anything direct to plasterboard. Put a noggin across between joists.

If you can't get at above ... drill a hole slip in a 10" length of batten and screw through plasterboard into that ... sandwiches board and spreads load.

Reply to
rick

Depends on how heavy it is.

Reply to
John

I think he said there's very little headroom. So, fixing a noggin to the joists would be very awkward.

Reply to
GB

I will try first if space allows to fit to joists, otherwise a batten to the topside of plasterboard.

Bog standard light fitting nothing elaborate.

Reply to
ss

I cant see any need. Good plasterboard plugs should be fine.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Until someone pulls the light.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

That's why I asked if he swings from teh chandeliers. Apparently not.

Reply to
GB

If you're concerned about loading the plasterboard and have enough access to reach the space above but not enough headroom to screw in a noggin you could try fabricating a loose noggin the same height as the joists with an extra and longer piece of timber screwed on top of it which will rest on top of the joists. When you screw the light fitting through the plasterboard to the noggin any loads should be carried on the top of the adjoining joists. It might be a two person job to get the first screw started, one in the loft to hold the noggin down and another below to drive in the screw.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Then the plugs pull out. So what? I *am* assuming it isn't a fan/light weighing 10 kg.

Reply to
newshound

Weight, in total with lightbulb about 300 grams.

Thanks again for all the suggestions it will now be done one way or the other.

Reply to
ss

newshound wrote in news:k- snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

More concerned about the board breaking.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In an awkward place under the first floor I cleaned the crud and dust off the top of the plasterboard and glued a piece of floorboard to it for the full space between the joists. From below I could easily put in screws and drill bigger holes - these modern gunks are very useful. I've also cut a piece of board, put a batten at each end and screwed horizontally through that into the joists - probably andle chandelier-swinging.

Reply to
PeterC

Or just feed a stick of wood in through a small hole and screw to its centre. The wood, if not too bendy, spreads the load over a wide area of plasterboard.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In the past I have used plywood between the joists and above plasterboard or above suspect lath/ plaster and held from moving upwards with some scrap pieces of wood wedged between the joists (in one case glued with a grab adhesive - no more nails)

Then when fitting light roses or light fittings drill a pilot hole up through the pasterboard and plywood and use a slightly longer screw.

Reply to
alan_m