Light Fitting Recommendation

Hi all

I'm looking for a light fitting to illuminate a pathway alongside a single storey kitchen extension. Preferably a single fitting mounted high enough up the gable end to shed light either side of a gate in the pathway (pathway length 5m). I don't want to illuminate an area too far from the house wall or dazzle the neighbours opposite. Does anyone have experience of a suitable fitting?

Also, what are the options for instant illumination? Do I have to use an oversize energy saver so that when it is first switched on it produces a reasonable amount of light?

I think I have 100W equivalent energy savers in other fittings and they are hopeless (even after a half hour warm up).

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

Well, I am using LEDs. So far some outdoor "fairy" lights. They are *** very *** non-dazzle but only give a gentle glow. Also bought but not yet fitted a small waterproof 12V LED lamp. Will let you know when I fit it at the weekend. I intend to have maybe three or four if I like them.

Reply to
polygonum

Instant light = LED

LED floodlight with cool/day white (not warm white) single LEDs. Point them almost directly downward. Perhaps fit a thin metal plate to restrict the light from your neighbours

Example

You probably don't need more than 10 or 20W to illuminate 5m. I have

10W version pointing upwards and using a white porch ceiling to reflect the light to illuminate my front door and car hard-standing in the front garden. I've also got it wired into a dusk to dawn switch.
Reply to
alan

You might try looking at Steinel stuff. I first heard the name on this ng. Not cheap but V good. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Have you considered two light fittings? Spaced apart as far as possible from the middle of the gable end and still allow the cables for the lights to enter the loft above the kitchen. It spreads the light around better than one flood light and gives less shadows.

Reply to
ARW

LV LEDs would make life easier

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hi Adam

Being the lazy article like what I am, I was hoping to get away with a single fitting. But I suspect you are right, particularly with the gate half way down.

By the way, no word from Mr B yet despite NICEIC definitely posting the job and me sending the test certs for all works! I wonder if there's a specific time limit on a council response!

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

Thanks to all

I'll have to investigate these LED jobbies - not got too involved with them so far.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

I got one the the CPC 20W ones (which look the same as most of the others being offered by other vendors). I also got one of the Costco Duralite portable LED worklights (17.5W) when I noticed it on special offer.

The Duralite one has a noticeably higher light output (although it is actually rated lower), better colour rendering, and a larger light source made from 30 or so LEDs behind a diffuser, so not so painful when you catch a glance of it. I ended up botching that instead to use as a driveway light (fixing a different mounting bracket).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Maybe because the Duralite items used cool white LEDs (6500K daylight) rather than warm white that may have been used in the other light. In my opinion cool white is better for outside.

Reply to
alan

A row of piddle power ones under the soffits would last forever if you significantly underrun them - no loss of efficiency.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I believe it takes an hour after asking:-)

Reply to
ARW

Other way around. The Duralite is 5000K, whereas the CPC is 6500K. Although both these are in the cool white range (which is fine for outdoor night time use).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel