Light coming on very slowly

Someone wants a light to come on in the mornings on a timeswitch to help them wake up. But they want the light to brighten gradually, not suddenly on to full brightness.

Is there a simple device one could buy to set up such an arrangement?

Reply to
john east

Yes. It's called a compact flourecent lamp:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

This seems to be a feature of most CFL bulbs ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

A really old, knackered, CFL? I was just thinking this morning that it was handy that they didn't come on too fast when I was half awake...

Alternatively do you have a PC handy you could make turn its screen on and gradually change from back to white?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Bob Eager

Yes, a CFL, preferably an old one.

Reply to
grimly4

Seen devices like that for fancy aquaria and birdcages; maybe that will lead to something you like?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- the whole point of *not* googling and asking here in the newsgroup is that you get peoples' experiences and recommendations, not just another list of ten million adverts from google

Reply to
john east

On a more serious note, you could look at some of the X10 home automation kit.

Reply to
John Rumm

Philips do a thing called a wake up light. others are also available. They have the correct colour of light to wake you up naturally and it works. Beast bit of kit. recommend them.

At the lowest price you cant make it any cheaper yourself.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

I find I get much the same result by simply opening the curtains before I go to sleep.

Reply to
Graham.

Not at this time of year, it's just getting light now (0815) the sun is not yet above the horizon, probably another 15 mins before it is. Well dark when I got up at 0700.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Exactly. And I find it easy to sleep with a light on. Even easier if I sleep on my right side and have a pillow.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've seen them vary from so dim you can't see where you're going for the first minute to instant on. Not sure what the difference is, but my outdoor lights have something written on the ballast about pre-heat starting.

CFL bulbs are old technology anyway, I use LEDs. A purer white, faster to come on than an incandescent, they last forever, and they use even less power and don't get so hot. And yes you can get them really bright.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

"Last forever and don't get hot" Pillock

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yeah all doom and gloom, and pitch dark again by 5pm

I must have paper-thin eyelids, even the charging LED on mobile phone seems to keep me awake

Reply to
Andy Burns

Try actually getting some, then come back with a counter argument so you don't look like a moron who just adds insults at the end of the sentence to make himself sound big. Are you still in school or something?

I have a whole load of Cree LEDs in GU10 format that are way brighter than the

50W halogens. They use 6.5 watts, thus generate no more than this in heat.
Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I have fitted over 2000 LED spotlights. They get hot and they do not last forever.

"Way brighter than 50W halogens" You really are full of shit.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Had a bad day Adam? There really is *no need* to talk at people like that.

You do yourself no favours. Generally speaking, people want to like other people. Making assertions which are questionable is one thing; telling the person who made them, whom you've never met, ***and who moreover is new to this group*** (which you were too not so long ago), that they're "full of shit" is just plain repulsive.

John

Reply to
Another John

You are aware that there is no right not to be offended?

Reply to
Huge