Light bulbs to be taxed

pmsl.

New gov policies... The green tax code

Does this mean town shopping centers lit up like blackpool will get taxed?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Dont worry, my guess is Blackpool is safe from increases, the home counties will pick is the tab as usual.

Reply to
DC01_RIP

If you've got it - they'll tax it. Won't be happy until we are all drawing state benefits.

Reply to
Roger Cain

Hopefully, because they are incredibly tacky.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That'll be the chewing gum.

Reply to
Phil L

Everything that uses electricity will soon be taxed to the hilt and the more power they use, the higher the tax...hairdryers, irons, kettles, heaters etc will soon have a hefty tax, along with ovens, toasters and christ knows what...we're being steered towards using gas, presumably because it's almost free, although not to us.

Stock up on candles and start growing some trees

Reply to
Phil L

|pmsl. | |New gov policies... |The green tax code

I expect that all they will do is to tax incandescent bulbs off the market. As I saw low energy bulbs this week at 99 p each, this will be easy. I may replace the incandescents in the garage having next to no security with low energy ones when they fail. Mind you they are used so little that they are all of 10 years old

|Does this mean town shopping centers lit up like blackpool will get taxed?

Hopefully, Shopping centres should have only enough light to "see" clearly, nothing more.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Great - for those who have mains gas. The nearest gas main to me, is perhaps 100 miles away.

I've already done that!

Reply to
S Viemeister

They have been47p in ASDA for months.

Reply to
dennis

That was thoughtless of Hydro. They could have put in a branch on the Langeled pipeline to help you out a bit. I guess that you're closer to Norway than London anyway....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Even though I consider myself to be fairly eco-friendly, I absolutely hate these useless CFLs. The specs say that they are equivalent to 100W incandescents but I think they are dismal and completely inadequate.

Ev.

Reply to
Ev

Thy are if you don't give them five minutes to warm up, for those five minutes it's like being in a cave.

Reply to
Phil L

The message from "Phil L" contains these words:

That's very dependent on the make and model. We've some that start in ten seconds or so, others that take more.

Reply to
Guy King

I find the slow warm up is a benefit first thing in the morning in winter.

Reply to
Bioboffin

More and more of our gas is imported and paid for. Much of that goes towards electricity generation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even when fully warmed up their output just isn't the equivalent as stated. I replaced a 100 watt large globe bulb with one claimed to be 100w and it wasn't. And I doubt the globe one was the most efficient type of incandescent bulb either. They probably use the same criterion as boiler makers do for efficiency. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not just that, if you're walking out of the living room into the hall and up the stairs etc, the CF lamps are just too slow for the purpose. Same with the loo, you often need good light in the loo yet only need it for a short while and having to hang about while the lamp warms up can be a drag. The same can be said of kitchens etc.

I also have a 25W pygmy lamp in my understairs cupboard, I appreciate the fact it comes on instantaneously to full brightness as I usually can get what I was looking for ( beer ) in only two or three seconds.

Question: how come the strip fluorescents in my kitchen come on with only a

2 second-odd delay to a decent initial brightness, whereas compacts are so much slower?

Anyway, looks like a trip to the shops for a gross of assorted filament lamps before they make 'em illegal.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

The message from "Bioboffin" contains these words:

We have Ikea R50 spots in our bedside reading lamps. Very gentle on the brain, they are, taking about 30 seconds to get even half-way.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Andy" contains these words:

Me, I can find the bum-cartridge without the lights on.

Reply to
Guy King

I've said this several times before, but the reason for this is they are compared with softone filament lamps, which are painted and lower efficiency, and are not what most people use. Ignore the quoted equivalent on the box, and just assume a 4:1 ratio. For any kind of integral reflector bulb, it's probably worse, i.e. somewhere nearer 3:1.

Also, you may want to replace old ones before they completely die. I have a number which still work at 5 years old, but the phosphor is noticably wearing out making them dimmer than new ones.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel