Light bulbs - more upcoming bans - update

Just got this via a mail shot:

'm not affiliated with the company (though I do recommend them as a satisfied customer).

In summary, affected bulbs to be banned from September 2009 (a real ban this time, not a voluntary agreement) include:

Halogen tubes >75W (eg security lights) Lots of frosted and pearl lamps, including G9, GLS, candle and halogena lamps [ These may still be available in clear glass format, but only up to

60W or 75W].

That's a rough summary - best read the leaflet yourselves.

On the plus side, lamp vendors are recession proof, at least for this year ;->

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

What's the rationale behind permitting clear lamps but banning pearl ones?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I think you have misread the leaflet in exactly the way you were intended to. ;-) The EU proposal _for Sep 2009_ is just all non-clear GLS lamps, and all GLS lamps > 75W.

The other stuff follows gradually over about 8 years (unless the EU proposals changed very recently). Things like halogen lamps, the ban is based on efficiency, not purely on lamp style. It is likely the higher power linear halogen lamps will last the longest, because they can be made most efficient.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Pearl, being a larger effective light source, are more readily replaced by CFLs (which are also a large light source). Clear are used in things like chandeliers where the filament light source is more important, and there's not yet an effective low energy replacement.

Pearl are also less efficient. In the etched bulbs, 2-3% was lost. Etching is no longer allowed due to hydroflouric acid dangers, and I've heard the current powder dusting which is used as a replacement is even less efficient.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This is so much bollocks, and is REALLY starting to piss me off. It's like them declaring that all trucks over 7 tons are to be be banned, and that the replacement is a milk float. Then, all trucks under 7 tons will go, and a golf buggy will be the replacement for them. >:-(

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

In the meantime what are nations like India and China doing - other than prospering at our expense?

Reply to
John

Lobster coughed up some electrons that declared:

When I last spoke to the bloke at said company, he said he'd heard that it wqas because:

Pearl can be replaced by CFL without loss, according to the committee; Clear cannot (they're right there!)

Hum...

Reply to
Tim S

Sorry, Arfa, you seem to be late into this, under EU Green Paper "Biodiversity XXI", the future form of transport is to be

Clot

We went to India on holiday in November 2007. Virtually every bulb we saw was a CFL ...

Reply to
Huge

There is a good reason for that.. every watt you save is a watt that can be used elsewhere in a country where generating capacity is (probably) lower than demand. Users in the UK will find that out soon if things carry on.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

No dennis -do you really think that people install CFLs for the good of the nation

It's because the standing charge increases with capacity - so If you have e.g. a 5kW box, you pay more than someone who has a 2.2kW box, and it costs to have the conversion

... so you save where you can

wrong again

Reply to
geoff

something just to contradict what I said. If I said it was black geoff would say it was white.. etc. You are boring.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

err ... excuse me SFB

Have you ever been out there, lived there ?

I have

You're postulating that asians are installing CFLs for alturistic reasons

I'm asking what planet you think you're on

you're an idiot

Reply to
geoff

If Maxie says it is black it is black. Maxie knows these sort of things. He is in a Paddy band too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maxie!! Wow!!!

Reply to