Lifting paving slabs - special tool?

Is there a tool which can be inserted between paving slabs and used to lift one of them?

If so where can I buy one?

Reply to
Malcolm H

How big are the gaps ? Crowbar ? Buy it at any DIY or builders merchants. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I've not seen a special tool for this job but I've managed to do it before with a couple of loops of galvanised fencing wire worked into the inter-slab gaps and hooked round diagonally opposite corners. I then passed a stout length of timber through the loops to lift the slab.

Reply to
1501

That's clever, that is!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Rob

For small ones, you might get away with this

this one on ebay that looks a bit more robust

Tim Downie

================================== Use the corner of an ordinary (strong) garden spade; do a partial lift and wedge an old screwdriver into the gap before re-inserting the spade for a final lift.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Lifting a single slab in the middle of a load of others can be nigh on impossible. I've only ever had to do it when the single slab was broken

Reply to
Stuart Noble

A wooden frame with lifting handles, and a thick plywood back. Rubber seal around edge, and a hole for a vacuum cleaner hose. Sit this on back of slab, attach vacuum, and lift with handles. Job done!

Reply to
<me9

You must be joking - you would need a positive displacement vacuum pump - not a vacuum cleaner. Paving contractors in my local area used such a device - with counterbalances to lay paving in the city centre. Made it look easy! No doubt a Health and Safety issue now to minimise manual handling.

Reply to
John

There is a device called a slab lifter

Engineering or tools suppliers, but they run into a few hundred quid each.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

With a good seal thge small vacuum produced over the area of a paving slab by a vacuum cleaner will lift quite a heavy load.

Assuming just 1psi (2' head, easily achieved with my VAX) over a 2'x2' slab, the suction will be of the order of 500lb. enough to easily raise the heaviest slab.

Reply to
<me9

Seriously? I'm looking forward to you videoing this and sticking it on YouTube for us all to see............

Reply to
SantaUK

replying to Malcolm H, Cap'n Crook wrote: A bailing hook or something of that shape to get between the slabs, and turn and lift - two of these would make the job easier.

Reply to
Cap'n Crook

Is Cormaics website Paving Expert still accessible?

Reply to
Cynic

yup:

(there is a book as well)

Reply to
John Rumm

who posted on May 7, 2008...

Missed this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ did you?

Reply to
The Other John

Well its an eternal question and I suspect the is this still... shows it was not missed perhaps?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This is correct. I've just made a lifter using a square of melamine coated chipboard,an old bike inner tube and a domestic vacuum cleaner. Works fine for my 45cm square pavers.

Reply to
hertz

Before replying to a 13 year old post through a broken website read this first.

I'm glad something is correct. Shame it's 13 years late.

Reply to
Fredxx