Lifting Marleys?

How can I remove hard old Marley type tiles that are glued to a concrete floor?

I want to replace with ceramic, and to do the job properly.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

Charles,

I did the same thing in my previous house...

Get some knee-pads... it became a very long job - it was a large kitchen/diner - the method I ended up with was to heat the tile with a blow lamp and then prise up with a 4" flat scraper.

It you can get hold of a blow lamp that uses a hose and large gas cylinder that would be the best option... I lost count of how many cannisters I got through!!

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Lake

One of the quickest ways is to use an ordinary, flat garden spade or square mouth shovel that you slide between the tile and the floor and the tiles usually come up fairly easily - removing the old adhesive can be another matter though :-(

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Perhaps a blowtorch and scraper. ;-))

Alan

Reply to
Alan Lake

Nothing short of white spirit removed the back gooey stuff , I stuck down my ceramic tyles on to it ( with a few layers of PVA ) and they are ok. I did score the surface with an angle grinder though ( made a hell of a mess !)

Simon

Reply to
SimonP

Also a large kitchen/diner to do. Got the kit already, but aren't the fumes from the tiles pretty nasty?

Reply to
Charles Lamont