Lift off Brackets

SWMBO wants to have a headboard for our platform bed fastened onto the bedroom wall (Plasterboard partition). My idea is for a sheet of chipboard

1.4m x 1.2m which she will be padding and covering with material.

My dilemma is how to fix it to the wall. I had hoped to use some lift off brackets such as:

these are too small and having 4 screws so close together in plasterboard does not appeal to me. I had hoped to find something in the form of a strip that can be fixed the full length of the panel - the opposing part to be fixed along the wall with well placed screws.

So far I haven't found something suitable.

Any ideas anyone?

Reply to
John

Unless you're planning some pretty vigorous horizontal recreation those brackets should be OK if you can get the screws into the studs.

Reply to
1501

as:

> ....but these are too small and having 4 screws so close together in

What about a couple of el 'cheapo LCD wall brackets?

a thought!

Reply to
marpate1

Just use a couple of wooden battens, chamfered at 45 degrees, fix the top one to the headboard, and the bottom one to the wall, will need some packing at the bottom to make it hang vertical.

| | | |+-+ || | W ||/ A | /| L || | L |+-+ | |

Reply to
Andy Burns

Kitchen cupboard hanging rail:

you search they should have the brackets to go on tthe headboard

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Unfortunately my walls are just plasterboard. Two sheets with scrap bits in between to make the walls about 2" thick - no studs - just a batten at the floor and ceiling (1988 construction)

Reply to
John

How secure does it need to be? by that I mean will just a hang be OK or will it need some form of latch?

Reply to
Paul Matthews

and easily removed - load taken by several screws due to type of wall.

Reply to
John

> ....but these are too small and having 4 screws so close together in

My headboard is invisibly held flush to the wall with some fixings which I will describe, but I don't know what they're called - and can't find them in a Screwfix catalogue. [I made it many years ago, and almost certainly got the fixings at a local DIY shop (not a shed).]

Each fixing is a plate about (from memory) 30mm long x 15mm wide by 3mm thick, with rounded corners. In the middle of the plate is a keyhole-shaped hole - with the circular part big enough for the head of a No. 8 screw to pass through, and the slotted part just a tad wider than the shank of a No.

8 screw. At each end of the plate is a countersunk screw hole. Several of these plates are recessed into the back of the headboard and retained by short screws. A No 8 screw is screwed into the wall in each corresponding position, with the head standing proud by a suitable amount. The headboard is then positioned so that the hole in each plate passes over the appropriate screw, and then pushed firmly downwards.

In case you can't visualise it, it's exactly the same principle as that used by most wall-mounted telephones (except that they only have two fixings, whereas a headboard will need at least 4 - probably more.)

Reply to
Roger Mills

Are you really saying your wall is just plasterboard, with no timber inside providing the structural stability? Sounds a bit odd...

If so, I'd suggest a French cleat as being the only way you'll manage to spread the load over large enough an area - see

can buy long metal versions of this which screw to the wall and fitting; not sure where from.

David

Reply to
Lobster

> ....but these are too small and having 4 screws so close together in

Get a wide piece of plywood to act as a faceplate that you can fix those brackets on to. The faceplate can then be mounted to the wall with well spaced screws.

Reply to
OG

>>> ....but these are too small and having 4 screws so close together in

That has got me thinking. I know exactly what you mean - I had only thought of such plates in an overhanging - or exposed position on the top edge. Recessing them sounds easy and they are readily available. Many thanks. I will just have to make sure I choose appropriate plasterboard fixings that work without the screw being fully tightened up.

Reply to
John

Thanks David - best idea if I can find metal version. Failing that I will go with the recessed keyhole plates.

Yes my walls are only plasterboard. The builders of my estate (not in the Royal context) nailed battens to the floor and the ceiling - fixed plasterboard to the batten on one side - then stuck on scraps of plasterboard to the inner surface - then added another board to make the other side of the wall. Not good for sound-proofing!

Reply to
John