Lifetime of a fridge freezer?

Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted approx 5yrs. I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was more reliable. Ha-ha.

In my experience old fridges used to last approx 20yrs or so. When doing the rounds looking for a new fridge, most salesmen thought that the short lifetime of modern fridges was due to the new gas that they use these day to replace the CFCs that were supposed to degrade the ozone layer.

Is it true that the new refrigerant is responsible, or is it a manufacturers' excuse to make and sell more refrigerators? Don

Reply to
Donwill

According to BOC, their replacement gases actually improve compressor reliability and life. I suspect the real reason is twofold: Everything is built down to a price and it is not in the manufacturers' interest for anything to last too long - it reduces sales if they do.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I thought Miel had quite long duration guarantees/warranties as standard, 10 years? Or a good and reasonably priced repair network.

Yep, that is what I would expect. Hotpoint FF here is 10 years old, the Electrolux upright freezer similar and an indesit ordinary fridge older again, maybe 15.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

AFAIK, Miele don't make the fridges that have their brand name on them. I am a great fan of their washing machines, but I am not sure that you are getting the same build quality with their fridges.

Reply to
GB

Miele fridges were rated 90% for reliability by Which (the best being Siemens at 95%) but their 'aftercare' was rated top of the list. Did you enquire about the possibility of repair rather than replacement?

Is it true that the new refrigerant is responsible, or is it a

Modern frost-free fridges and freezers do have more to go wrong than traditional designs (e.g. they usually have a fan).

Richard.

Richard Russell

You only got a 5 year warranty on your Miele?

I got 10 years on my Miele washing machine. Had a service call-out with the digital display not working - prefect service - and the chap also repaired some accidental damage I owned up to, also free of charge.

Reply to
dom

I thought Miel were prettygood on reliability when I purchased it but I saw some reviews recently which changed my opinion.

is the same model as I had. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Miele fridges are made by Liebherr. Mine is now 5 years old and seems as good as new.

Reply to
djc

Obviously not these rhen

Man at B&Q

So was mine 3 days ago. :-( Don

Reply to
Donwill

Most fridges/freezers should manage 20-30 years, even cheap ones, though not all do. Frost frees are another matter, with high failure rates.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

You write that as if there is some doubt as to whether CFCs degraded the ozone layer. Has /anyone/ ever suggested that CFCs are not responsible for the Antarctic ozone hole?

(Note that the hole seems to be getting better since the passing of the Montreal treaty, but it's going to take another couple of decades to get back to normal.)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

indeed. Try liebherr for a reasonably upmarket and well made brand.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ditto but ours died within 2/3 years, was regassed and had a new compressor fitted - which Miele tried to charge nearly =A3400 for but eventually swallowed. It then died again 18 months later.

The engineer confirmed that Miele fridges/freezers are made by Leibherr.

I now have a Gaggenau and that is just as shit. It's just a re-badged Maytag (crude American engineering). 18 months old, and getting very noisy. The air-flow flap from the freezer compartment to the fridge freezes up about once a month (condensation turns to ice and freezes flap open, temperature heads south).

I have probably just had bad luck with Friday afternoon machines but not impressed with either brand (for fridge/freezers) based on my very small sample size.

Reply to
Bolted

Pass. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Agreed, my 'Bejam' upright freezer purchased in 1990 is still going strong despite 3 house moves in the intervening years (although the internal shelving is falling to bits), the chest freezer is 'Lec' IIRC and in its 11th year.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Then why did you say "supposed" in the first place? I noticed it too but managed to restrain myself from rising to the bait.

Reply to
GB

Agreed, my 'Bejam' upright freezer purchased in 1990 is still going strong despite 3 house moves in the intervening years (although the internal shelving is falling to bits), the chest freezer is 'Lec' IIRC and in its 11th year.

We have an old Electra upright FF which is still going strong after 20 years - although the finish on the doors is starting to look a bit tatty ...

Reply to
Wesley

Naw, just made the mistake of choosing a frost free type. Far to much to go wrong with a frost free...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

True for the present one, although that's got nothing to do with the irritating flaw above.

Not true for the Miele.

Reply to
Bolted