Lidl parking

The Lidl branch I most use is at Clapham Junction. They have number recognition cameras, and ask you for your car number at the checkout. Which then gives you up to 90 minutes free parking.

Had a demand for a fine from the company that runs it for them. On that occasion, the till person obviously forgot to ask me for my details. Not that I noticed at the time. And they could have changed the system anyway.

Emailed the car park company and said I'd paid by plastic so they could check with the store easily that I'd used the store on the date and time in question.

Some time later, I've had an email asking me to prove I made a purchase. They want a copy of the till receipt.

As it happens I do still have it - as I bought something with a warranty. But had it been just groceries, would have been junked the same day.

So I've told them to check themselves. Be interesting to see what happens next.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How do they link your car registration with your payment card? Did you give them your card number in the first email?

Reply to
Chris

They wrote to me initially. So obviously have my name and address. Lidl will have the name etc on their records - it appears on the receipt, along with the card number.

As I said, what happens if I didn't have the receipt? Just how many people keep grocery receipts for weeks?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And the more people that follow your example the quicker they will drop the scheme as uneconomic.

My problem is that I drive a company (leased) car so the DVLA search returns the leaseing company's details, and they email my employer who pass the details on to me. The leasing company charge my employer £20 for doing this, and my employer in turn deducts this administration fee from my salary. Even if I successfully appeal the parking charge or Road Traffic Act offence, the admin charge still stands.

Reply to
Graham.

at the branch I use, the cashier asks for your car number but it doesn't end up on the receipt - but the date & time of purchase does.

Reply to
charles

There's plenty online, especially in local groups, of people who've ignored these demands and simply thrown them away without any consequences at all. As its cropped up before, and so presumably is actually in their letter they can't "fine" anyone. Only the Courts can do that.

I'm not sure of the legal basis on which people have got away with ignoring these things, but a few minutes Googling may provide more information.

This was a first Google hit

" Argue your case and stand your ground if you get a ticket ? fewer than 5 per cent of cases are taken to County Court. If they are, most are found in the motorist?s favour.

michael adams

michael adams

Same with an aldi I used on Monday, a few hours after I'd left I realised I hadn't punched my reg into the touchscreen, emailed their head office, told them I could provide a receipt where the timestamp would match the camera - they were good about it and said they were confident they could help me successfully appeal the ticket (outsourced obviously).

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't use shops that have these parking systems.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Sounds like another good reason not to use Lidl. The first reason is that there isn't one near us.

Another reason: I put my postcode into their website, and it returned the wrong location for my home.

Reply to
Davey

The trick with Parking Eye who operate many ALDI carparks is to make not response at all. you will get 3 letters and then nothing more.

I have been through this a few months back and sat tight as recommended and had no comeback. The letters and my till receipt are on the mantelpiece ready for a fight if they try anything!

The folklore is that if you do respond and then fail to convince them that they will pursue for the payment but I'm not convinced. They are universally hated by our local ALDI staff who will bend of backwards to help provide proof that you are a customer.

They are the scum of the earth using frightening tactics to extort money. Going through the courts as they suggest costs them far too much and they don't bother.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I'll just stick with the usual reasons. Their food's usually mediocre, rarely much that much cheaper than supermarkets with a proper and predictable range, and the store's always full of knuckle-dragging wuckfits.

Reply to
Adrian

is it? Our local one has a comparatively small car park where it was usually necessary to wait some considerable time to get an parking space. Often, I just went elsewhere. Now, with a camera monitored system, a parking space is usually available, implying that many of the spaces were being used by non-customers - so I will continue to shop there. Some people may, on principle stop going there, but others will take their place.

Reply to
charles

Bit like TVL then...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Adrian put finger to keyboard:

Their cold meats are nice, and where else do you go when the craving for a tin of herrings in mustard and parsley sauce hits?

Some stuff is comparable, some *is* much cheaper.

That might improve as they are now paid the living wage.

Scion

not my findings round here.

Reply to
charles

My findings haven't varied from Aldidls across at least five countries. Mind you, the stores themselves were utterly indistinguishable across those five countries, either.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Scion writes

So far, I've waited 63 years for the first hit :-)

Reply to
News

Last cold meat I bought in one was some Bresaola, in Italy. The packaging had more flavour.

I can honestly say it never has - although SWMBO's scandi half is rather partial to dill sill, so the Swedish embassy supplies that portion of her diet (in glass jars), rather than the German embassy.

Aldidl are only paying a relatively small minority of the knuckle- dragging wuckfits.

Reply to
Adrian

If you successfully appeal the parking charge then you should counterclaim against them for the admin charge. It's a loss wholly due to their pursuing an unenforceable claim against you.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It's actually less trouble than the close by ASDA, where you have to get and display a free ticket from a machine.

They obviously have to control parking in some way, as it's beside an extremely busy station, with no car park.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)