Lidl offers

Uk standard of living will of course rise!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Flipping cheek!

Reminds me of a documentary I saw in which surgical instruments was marked as "Made In Germany" despite being made in Pakistan and only finished off in Germany.

The documentary focussed on the fact that the Germans were actually doing nothing to the items and the surgical instruments were wholly made in Pakistan but marked as German made.

The documentary highlighted the inevitable quality control problems with distinctly substandard equipment, such as forceps, being supplied by this route and getting using in NHS surgical operations.

Reply to
pamela

Point taken, but it's not that sort of knife. Which is why I mentioned it. Most retractable types can't take much in the way of force without the blade moving or even pulling out. You needed a fixed type for this - and come form of cover. This one looks like it get rounds this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And bosses at one time could hang their slaves. But things have changed a bit since then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, just an example.

I have (had? not seen it for a year or two) one of those knives from a previous time they were on sale, quite well made.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Then it is the fault of the claimed maker for not enforcing quality control. No product is ever 100% perfect on leaving the production line or whatever. Some form of testing and inspection is always required. The maker went to Pakistan or wherever because they could get a good product at a better price. Thus maximising their profits. But they are the ones responsible for the end quality - not the factory, no matter where it is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only if we don't have to pay more for the stuff to make them.

Reply to
dennis

But we didn't lose stuff like motorcycle manufacturing and car manufacturing because of hanging slaves.

Reply to
dennis

You're right but the sad outcome is the NHS buys those surgical instruments on the mistaken assumption they're suitable.

pamela

I see the concept of 'value added' has completely passed you by.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am sure Plowperson will tell you that you are completely wrong, and once the capitalists and their lackeys were unable to hang slaves in Britain, they all went somewhere else where they could.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You get less for it when you sell it and it costs you more to make, has that passed you by?

Reply to
dennis

We lost both because those industries didn't invest enough in decent new product. They thought everyone would keep on buying BSA or MG just because of the name. And they were very wrong.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its difficult to invest in better manufacturing when the unions insist on the same manning levels on a machine that needs no manning.

Reply to
dennis

Why would you need super new machinery to make the same old stuff?

But carry on blaming the unions or the workforce. Much easier than looking for the true reasons.

Have you ever wondered why a company the size of BL went cap in hand to Honda to use their designs? Still built here, of course. The logical thing to do - if they had some world beating cars - would have been to get them made elsewhere. Perhaps at the Honda factory in Japan ;-)

It's very typical of much of the UK manufacturing industry. In good times give all the profits to the shareholders. In bad times expect the government to bail them out. When sensible businesses invest in the future.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

After you with that crystal ball.

Reply to
soup

Indeed. In any case, it will perhaps still be stronger than the euro, as so many eurozone countries have problems.

Reply to
Martin Barclay

More wishful thinking ...

Reply to
Bob Martin

To which post are you referring?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

YMMV, but I find these staionery products generally crap.

Reply to
Capitol