Lidl multimeter

The ones as supplied with my 179 aren't - either the original PVC or replacement silicone. Unless it's some sort of internal fusible link which can't be replaced. The internal fuses in the meter cost an arm and leg, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes; I call it a very thin long screwdriver. Tapping and listening for the duller thuds of the studs can work, but it's very variable.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

And yet; silicone cable isn't all that pricey - easy to knock up some of one's own, project for soon-ish, roundytuit thingy.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I like the ones with the sexy alligators

And the attachable probes.

It's definitely worthwhile spending the extra on some decent cabling and fittings, as cheap and some not so cheap meters over the years have just felt awkward and nasty to use because of their shit cabling. I've always hankered back to big sturdy AVOs and their nuclear-proof leads, those were leads you could trust. And the man-sized clips and retractable sheath on them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Oh yes, I had one. It got snaffled and I was left with some Japanese or Korean copy but it's turned out to be a robust job, also let down by some shitty leads - that's another one I'd be far happier to upgrade the leads on.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Commercially produced leads have moulded on plugs etc, so likely to be stronger/last longer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed it is! That way I've just managed to blow the physically very large 13A fuse protecting my trusty Fluke 77's 10A range. Until I jury-rig a replacement, I'm using a £2.50 'Lead-Wise' digital meter (which looks pretty similar to the Lidl). To be honest, it does most of what the Fluke does (apart from AC current), and is probably more-than-adequately accurate (can't say I've seen much difference).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

This is exactly it; as far as I'm concerned, I won't be sticking this into any mains and it's for general workshop use with 12V DC up to 90V AC (for generator coil output) and just probing and faultfinding duties here and there. If I were using it professionally, I'd not have bought one of these, it would have been a Fluke and certs, and all. Not worth saving a few bob and not having a leg to stand on.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Vacuum tube or just tube is the US name for a thermionic valve in the UK. Or just valve.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)