Lidl Motion Sensors

Lidl have some security lights on offer tomorrow - and also some separate "motion sensors" for 4 quid each

Has anyone bought one of these before, or would anyone care to hazard a guess as to what they *actually* are?

I have an outside light whose PIR sensor has become very temperamental. Since it is detachable, I'm wondering whether I can replace it with one of these Lidl sensors.

The Lidl description calls it a "motion sensor". Taken at face value, that would switch on whenever it detected motion - regardless of the ambient lighting conditions. But the description also suggests that it is designed to switch lights on - as opposed (say) to triggering a burglar alarm. So, assuming that no-one would want to turn on a 1200w halogen lamp in broad daylight, my hunch is that the light would only come on when it was dark. But it doesn't *say* that. It says that you can adjust how long the light stays on when triggered, but it doesn't say that you can adjust the threshold lighting level - like many do.

Any informed comments?

Reply to
Roger Mills

This any use?

mike

I bought some of the last lot and they look the same. If so they have three adjustments, sensitivity, time and lux. You can set them to switch the relay on between daylight and dark.

Reply to
dennis

In article , mike writes

These appear to be the same as a couple I have in stock here (bought as a punt).

Well made, fully adjustable, easy wiring, relay based so no minimum load and as the data sheet shows, adjustable for sens, ambient and duration.

I have tested them and found them fine but in the end got a v good deal on some low col temp eterna ones with built in sensors so fitted them instead as there was no high level re-wiring reqd (long ladders on a difficult install).

Reply to
fred

I'd have thought the two were separate sensors. One is dictated by light, the other I imagine works on infra red radiation passing across domains in a sensor. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Actually, I had a temperamental pir made by altai. I simply popped out the slightly off white filter over the sensor, and it worked fine so as I had a spare one that had completely died, I borrowed its filter and it worked. No idea to this day what on earth was different about the filter, unless it was scratched and this confused the domain crossing or something but they are hardly precision instruments are they, looking like a tiny tin can with so wires and a window in the top.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I bought some last time round to replace a pir on a floodlight that had filled with water.

I had a light level sensor, a pir sensitivity control and an on timer.

Worked perfectly (and still is).

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Are these ok to use with LED floods?

Reply to
ss

If only someone had posted a link to the ad so that you could find the information yourself! ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oooops I read low energy bulbs and missed the LED part hence the question. :-( Apologies.

Reply to
ss

Yes, lots - thanks! I guessed they were like the sensors on one of their complete lamps which I have - but they didn't *say* so, and only mentioned adjustment for time.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Have you read the complete thread - including my OP?

Reply to
Roger Mills