Lidl LED floodlight

a 10watt halogen light the area round my wheeliebins quite adequately.

Reply to
charles

That depends on the size of the area you want to flood with light.

Reply to
ARW

If you look at many of Big Clive's LED light pull-apart Youtube videos he starts with checking the power taken from the mains and often comments that a 30% shortfall is common with Chinese sourced products.

Example

Measuring a 20W LED

Reply to
alan_m

I once wondered why al lthe decorative LED table lamps I got from the pound shop failed to work. When I looked inside I saw the wires were shorting in every one.

I half suspect those ?1 table lamps were so cheap because they were all rejects which someone wanted to make money from.

Reply to
pamela

Some retailers are now selling 'slim' LED floodlights where the case design is suited for the large LED arrays used in these devices.

Reply to
alan_m

The LED itself will have a 120 degree illumination angle. What would a reflector of a LED be reflecting?

With a halogen light emerges at 360 degrees and the reflector is just reflecting what comes out the back forwards.

Reply to
alan_m

Is that a fact?

Reply to
ARW

The photometric data for a typical LED floodlight is almost identical to that for a typical LED array as used in these fittings which suggests that the reflector has close to zero effect. There is light output from the LED at +/- 60 degrees with practically zero beyond these limits.

Reply to
alan_m

If that were the case viewing the luminair would show it to be so. The ones here have a the central LED array only slightly brighter than the reflector. Not so very different from a halogen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was in Lidl yesterday, the had a pile of these still.

I had a look at them, on the box it says they have an output of 760 lumens. Construction seems fine. The PIR looked like a pretty much standard PIR for this sort of lamp.

In reality IP44 is fine for this sort of thing I think (I would guess the lamp unit it self is higher, it will either be the PIR or the little box where the cable connects in) IP44 means resists to splashing water and spray, but not to water jets directed at it.

In fact I bought one. I've got a spot that could do with a lamp that doesn't need to be that bright so this should be ok. I've been meaning to get one for ages, so striking while the irons hot and all that :-)

Reply to
Chris French

I saw some in Lidl too and the construction looks far better than I expected but the light is probably too weak for what I need.

I need lights for outdoors "scare-away" security but not so bright that the neighbours object.

I suppose I could compromise a bit on brightness in order to have to have the low maintenence of LEDs because the units will be mounted in awkward places.

Reply to
pamela

In the ones I've used the light from the LED doesn't reach the reflector at all. The cut off is from the frame. I think this is why LED floods sometimes disappoint when compared with halogens, because they cast such a wide, even, beam.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright