Lidl HVLP spray gun

Another pretty good piece of kit from Lidl. Unpacking and fiddling with one in the shop showed it to be a fairly well-made item. Home, a quick initial strip-down confirmed this - the nozzle looks standard-ish,ie, common with other makes (I hope), the paint cup, while plastic, isn't a piece of shit and looks fairly leaktight. The air coupling is the usual Aldidl squat affair, but a PCL one will fit as usual. In short, I'm quite pleased with this purchase, but the proof of the pudding will be in the painting, of which more later.

This is the first high-pressure fed HVLP gun I've used and I'll be interested to see how it compares with genuine HVLP turbine-fed guns I was using 30 years ago.

url:

Grimly Curmudgeon

url:

offered in the UK - this link is to Ireland.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

url:

>Not offered in the UK - this link is to Ireland.

You'll get it soon, there's hardly a fortnight between one and the other. Sometimes the UK gets it first. I found that the recession is biting in the bum the gannets who used to raid Lidl stores for bits, as there were plenty of older stock items, including gensets from a couple of weeks ago.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

High pressure HVLP seems like rather a contradiction in terms...

How is it different from a normal compressor driven gun?

Reply to
John Rumm

Mark

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

well yes, but most cheap compressors are only fit for inflating tyres, half decent compressors with 15cfm output can cope with a small HVLP spraygun quite easily.

the first car i ever spray painted (1962) was with mums electrolux cylinder vacuum cleaner and the paint attachment, HVLP. with hindsight it would have been better to wait for a windy day and just throw the paint in the general direction of the car.

-
Reply to
Mark

Plenty of high pressure sets are rubbish too.

I've got an Apollo HVLP, and it's pretty good. You couldn't get as good a high pressure set for the same cost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Externally identical. I presume it trades off pressure and flow for volume by a cunning arrangement of internal tubes an'tings.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I tried that. The sprayer worked but *hairs* found their way through the filter and got embedded in the paint work:-(

Spraying outdoors with cellulose thinners collects all the Greenfly in the air column above:-(

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'd guess one of the difficult things is drying the air from a normal compressor. A turbine type - normally used for HVLP - doesn't suffer from moisture.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good point. I have a decent water trap to install.

Agreed, and the air flow is warm.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That takes me back, we had one of them too about the same time. Used it a couple of times for interior decorating with emulsion but generally more trouble than it was worth.

Reply to
newshound

well at least with cellulose it dry?s quickly i was using coach enamel outside in winter so 8 hours later it was still collecting flys, leaves, dust, and even a hand print!

-
Reply to
Mark

an essential part of youth and learning how to do a job properly elimination of all the methods that seem like a good idea but dont work. :(

-
Reply to
Mark