Lidl Drill Press.

Well that goes without saying of course. I'll also need some car body filler and some caustic soda don't forget.

Cheers,

Phil Young

Reply to
Phil Young

Clean it off with a pressure washer.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Thus spake "Dave Plowman (News)" ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

No, I bought mine at the Crowborough branch.

Might be possible to cut down on the noise. A knowledgeable friend of mine, who has an almost identical 20-yr-old model with a Sealey badge, told me this (I quote):

*** START *** If you raise the top cover (which gives access to the drive belts and pulleys), and then rotate the capstan handle, you will see the end of the splined quill rising and falling in the centre of the drive pulley.

The quill spline to drive pulley fit is seldom what you would call 'precision', and consequently can be a great source of rattle and vibration. A thick grease interposed between the quill splines and the drive pulley can really reduce this.

Your pillar drill manual probably shows you how to force grease into the quill/pulley interface. [no, the Parkside manual doesn't] Basically, make sure the pillar drill is unplugged from the mains electrical supply. Then you turn the capstan handle to lower the quill down as far as it will go. This should lower the splined quill right down (out of sight) inside the drive pulley. Now get some (very) thick grease (they probably recommend wheel bearing grease, but I don't think this is thick enough, but it's better than nothing), and fill the 'hole' in the top of the drive pulley (i.e, the space in the centre of the drive pulley above the end of the lowered quill). Now place your thumb over the top of the drive pulley to hold the grease in and press hard. At the same time, rotate the capstan handle to raise the quill, which will act like a piston and force the grease down between the splines. Once the thumb seal has failed, clean the grease off yourself and the surrounding walls ;-)

The grease I used is called Kilopoise. See (and note the price!):

I bought a 50g jar some 20 years ago (have I really had my pillar drill that long? I guess so.) for around £8, I think. I recall I had to heat it up to reduce its viscosity sufficiently to flow between the quill splines. It sure dampened the noise down.

Reply to
A.Clews