Lidl DIY goodies

More DIY stuff from Lidl on the 20th of this month. Including an SDS mains drill for 20 quid. Doesn't give much info - but includes chisels so must have a rotation stop? With a three year warranty can't be bad? Also the usual excellent HSS drill set in a pop up steel box. Excellent value for good drills. And much more.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What, you've never used a chisel without engaging rotostop? :)

NT

Reply to
NT

20th? Just had the email for the 10th with DIY stuff but up this end of the country we don't get the SDS drill and bits but I think we did a week or so back or was that Aldi?...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sorry brain fart. Is indeed the 10th.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No. ;-) But not every SDS drill has this function.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's a 2.2kW chainsaw on sale at my loacal Lidl for £59.99. It's the same make (can't remember which) as a hedge trimmer I bought from them some years ago which has given good service.

Has anybody any experience of it?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Not necessarily. There are several ways to do this:

0 - Always rotates, can't be used for chiselling, hazardous when used as a breaker with a point. 1 - Rotation can be declutched, but the chisel then rotates freely. OK for rough demolition, but wanders when you're trying to chase cabling. 2 - Switching off rotation locks it in place. This is really the minimum you need for neat work 3 - Locked in place, but there's a multi-alignment clutch to lock it so that you can point the chisel wherever you want it. Useful when clearance is tight.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

So not much point in supplying a 1" wide chisel with it as per the pic? The reason I mentioned it is the 'spec' doesn't give details. And at that price I'd have expected just a basic drill. But supplying chisels means it

*must* be able to work in 'hammer' only.

Indeed. Sadly no information given.

Yes - that's how my DeWalt works.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From the instruction manual:

Adjusting the Chisel Position This function makes chiselling work considerably easier by the setting of individual angle positions for the chisel. This enables you to turn the tool for the chiselling work to the required position.

Full manual as pdf:

mike

Anybody ever bought their tap and die set?

Peter Twydell

Reply to
PeterC

be. Probably just carbon steel at that price - but fine for everything but the harder materials. Tap and die holders are rubbish - but I already had decent ones of those.

Thing is you've got nothing to lose but a few quid - high quality taps and dies cost a fortune, especially if you buy them singly when needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The web page does say it's carbon steel. Halfrauds and Screwfix do carbon steel sets at around 30 quid, so the Lidl one looks like a bargain. The Screwfix tool steel version is about 60 quid.

I have an ultra cheapo set of junk I bought goodness knows how long ago (Argos?), but only use very occasionally. IME it's one of those things that it's simply useful to have just in case. And reminds me of pleasant hours in the metalwork class at school (since merged with the sec mod next door and run down to the point where it was closed).

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Just to add I bought some heavy duty hand cleaner earlier this week - and used it today after working on the old car. Very good. Can't remember what it cost so dunno about value.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All their 'overalls' are a bit bright colour wise. And don't seem to fade to that used look after washing. So not so good for blagging trade at a BM. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 23:23:44 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" had this to say:

Just splatter them with trade magnolia emulsion paint, Blue Circle and WD-40 (especially around the crotch) for that 'professional' appearance.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Yes - it does have rotation stop, drill only, drill plus hammer.

Can't help imagining a uk.d-i-y meet. With everyone attending wearing these:

Rod

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ahh, "male model" and a rather oddly proportioned one to boot.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard