lexmark X4550 owners... ink prices

Anyone else own a lexmark X4550 printer, or other ones that take the #34 and

35 carts?

Any recommendations for where to get cheap replacement carts from?

Lexmark ones are about 20 quid each for the standard size, and 30 quid or so for the XL ones which i prefer to use, last ones i got were tesco's own brand carts, but they weren't that much cheaper, and it seems the online places i've looked at aren't much better either, around 12 - 15 quid each is what i seem to find,

The places i used to get epson carts for about 2 quid each for dont do lexmark carts, i guess i wont get them as cheap as that as they have the print head in the cart.... reason i bought this printer as pissed off with the epsons i had before that used to clog the nozzles if left more than 3 days without use.... one good thing about the lexmark printer, i have left it unused for about 6 months before, and it printed perfectly when i did use it again.

i have been thinking about a new printer that uses cheaper carts, the kodak C series is spammed on the telly as being the cheapest on ink, but if i get a new printer i really want one with individual ink tanks (tho the lexmark does let me keep using it untill there is physically no ink left at all, unlike the epsons i had with those 'ink level' chips in the carts that were really counters, i reset the chips 4 times on one cart before it really ran out)

So if lexmark carts cant be had really cheap, any recomendations for a wifi connected, scanner and printer combo (no need for fax) that uses cheap individual carts?

Reply to
Gazz

I use cartridgepeople.com cheap and no problems so far. Have also used Jettec, again no problems

Reply to
polly filler

I have the non wireless version of the wireless Epson SX425W, been working fine for months, uses compatible carts at under a quid a pop, theSX425W is around 55 quid from the likes of Amazon.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Don't whatever you do get a Canon MG 6150 series it'll eat you out of house and home with replacement carts. They don't last 5 sodding minutes. They are waaay too small and contain hardly any ink hence the need for frequent replacements...

Reply to
tony sayer

+1

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Ahh well, the answer came wrapped up from me parents, good job i didnt order any new ink for the lexmark thing.

new printer is a cheapie, think it goes for about 40 squids, but i dont care, as i dont use it that much and certianly not for owt that matters,

it's a scanner printer, wifi connected, has individual ink tanks, and a pack of all 4 ink is about 16 quid (non oem ones of course) only problem is its a bloody epson, but maybe with it being left turned on all the time due to the wifi bit, it might be sensible enough to keep the heads 'wet' to stop em drying out.

Reply to
Gazz

In message , Gazz writes

Kodak claim to be the cheapest for ink. I would never buy anther Epson ink jet. If you try other suppliers cartridges you get a warning prompt every time you try to print.

Reply to
hugh

I shake my head in disbelief when that ad comes on.

I wouldnt buy an inkjet full stop. They're endless messing about to wind up saving nothing. If you must have one, you can get ink refills for a pound or 2, just drill a tiny hole in the cart, top up, fit a cassette case screw. Most printer brands use compatible ink formula, so you can usually use refills at giveaway prices marked for use with some other branded out of date model. Dont use waterproof ink in intended for piezo printers in the more common water/alcohol based thermal inkjet machines though.

NT

Reply to
NT