Levelling for a wine rack in a cellar

Hi peeps,

I've got this pre assembled wine rack - actually a couple of them, as they are modular. I've been living with one of them for a while but since my wine collection has grown I now need to add this second rack, clip them together, and install them on the floor of my cellar.

The trouble is, the cellar floor is uneven, so try as I might wherever I site the rack I can't get it level.

Furthermore I need to fasten it to the plywood lined walls using those clips or, if the wall is near enough, a long screw. The wall has a cheapo skirting effect at the bottom, so it's hard to get the rack near the wall.

So basically I'm looking for some idea as to how to build a levelling for the rack, and perhaps raise it above the skirting somehow (probably a good idea to have it off the ground anyway, as it has been known to flood).

Thank you for any ideas,

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gravell

you don't say what sort of size this thing is but I imagine it not huge. For speed you could buy some kitchen cabinet feet from Screwfix or B&Q screw them to a piece of ply large enough to accommodate your rack and then position against wall. These would have the advantages of keeping the rack up off the ground and as they plastic they will not rot, also they very easy to level. If you don't like the look of the feet you could hide them with some more ply, cut to the right height after levelling, fixed to the front and sides as the feet also come with plinth clips. HTH.

Reply to
simon beer

Sounds like an idea! Don't care about the look at all. I've got some spare wood/ply/mdf lying around, could use that.

Thanks very much,

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gravell

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:22:43 +0000, Dan Gravell strung together this:

Fix a batten to the wall to fix into, this will then hold the top of the rack away from the wall the same distance as the skirting.

Anything you can find that's suitable, bits of ply, bricks, concrete..... Depends how permanant, water resistant and tidy you want it

Reply to
Lurch

You may need to pack the batten out to get the rack plumb.

If you don't have a spirit level you can drop a line (from the height you want to fix this batten at) to the skirting using a string with a biro tied to it. (Put the string through the top of the biro. This will allow it to drop straight.)

Put a row of bricks on edge to get 4 inches off the ground and a slab of slate or garden tile or paving to raise it a little more. Pack it level with sand and cement (4 to 1 & a fairly dry mix) to get it level.

You will need a level for that. A cheap one from the local car boot will do. Don't buy a plastic one. (For some reason best known to themselves Tesco are flogging some real shidte like that for sickmess.)

How to check a level:

You need a firm flat surface. Take some loose change with you. Lay it on the surface and pack up one side until the bubble sits in the middle. Turn the level end for end and if the bubble is still in the middle, buy it.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You mean pack the level mix on top of the tile/slab? Or inside the hollow formed by the bricks and tile? This will require many tiles...

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gravell

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:17:04 +0000, Dan Gravell strung together this:

No, on top of or below the bricks.

Reply to
Lurch

Ok, sorry for being slow but I don't see where the tile comes in... so far I have:

Where does the tile go? Is it to place the rack on?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gravell

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:14:24 +0000, Dan Gravell strung together this:

Yes, set the tile on the bricks so you have a sturdy level surface to place the rack on. You basically want to build a doorstep.

Reply to
Lurch