Levelling bookcases?

A friend is installing a row of Ikea bookcases along a wall of his living room. Unfortunately the floor is far from level, sloping down from the walls (like most floors in old Edinburgh buildings!). And of course the slope randomly varies along the length of the wall (the floor is sanded floorboards and each floorboard is a bit different).

Is there any better solution than fixing varying thicknesses of hardboard to the bottoms of the bookcases?

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

You can buy little stepped wedges but, with a wooden floor, you are going to get a gap somewhere that shows. In my view, the important thing is that the top and shelves look level, people don't tend to look at the floor line. He could plane the plinth(s) but, if he moves the bookcases latter, then he'll have a problem.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Fixing varying thicknesses of gold-plated hardboard to the bottoms of the bookcases?

(More seriously, I use old PCBs for this. Fibreglass PCB is damp proof and effectively unbreakable, unlike hardboard)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The best solution IMO is to bolt all the book cases together and level the whole lot as one large bookcase. Failing that, level the floor they are going to stand on first by building a shallow base for them to sit on.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes. Junk the Ikea book cases and make something that actually fits, is made of something reasonable, and doesn't look like everyone elses pile of utter cheap tat.

Or if you must use them make a level MDF plinth to sit them on, and paint it dayglo pink.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Less seriously, use wedges. Then sew a nice little varying-depth pelmet to pin to the bottom shelf.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What you need is these?

61932

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I don't think it would be wise to have the weight of the books on such small things. The bookcases are very tall, and will be full.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

I'd never use wedges (or wall unit shims) under a bookcase - far too heavy.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Tape some thin polythene to the floor where the bookshelves will run (masking tape). Choose a suitable piece of board to rest the shelves on. Mark, with tape, the edges of where the board will go. Run a thick bead of car body filler along the edge of the board, with not too much catalyst in it. Put the board down, so that the filler squeezes out onto the protecting polythene, and takes up gaps (you want a continuous run of filler, don't squeeze it too hard). When the filler is rubber-hard, pull up the board, and cut off the excess. When the filler is hard, treat the board with stain or whatever, making sure that the filler takes the colour (a marker pen might be handy). Put the board down, and stand the shelves on it (you might want to have a frame, rather than a board (or batten). N.B. the smell goes away quite quickly.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Chain 'em to the wall, just in case.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

I reckon that's the solution I'd go for. Build a level plinth for 'em to sit on.

Reply to
Guy King

...and is much thinner than hardboard giving a finer adjustment of height.

Why not build a plynth for them to stand upon, say four inches high - top perfectly level and bottom to suite the floors varying height. The four inches would help hide the variation.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield