Levelling behind new hearth

We're just in the process of fitting a new gas fire with new hearth. As we're adding a new hearth, the floor in the fireplace itself is now 50mm too low and needs to be raised so its flush with the hearth before the fire is fitted - what would be best way of doing this?

Si

Reply to
Simon Foster

paving slab, readymix postfix concrete, sand/cement mix... there's loads o ways of filling gaps.

Reply to
.

Cut down paving slab.

P.

Reply to
zymurgy

Fill it with cement?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Would a self levelling compound be any good?

Si

Reply to
Simon Foster

for 50mm ? no.

use a 4:1 sand cement mix, a fairly /dry/ mix. lob a bucket full in the hole, spread it out using a plastic float. leave it for half an hour and tool it flat. it's not going to be on show so as long as it's level it'll be fine.

Reply to
.

No, that's much too deep: 5mm would be more like it for SLC. Just get yourself a bag of readimix from B&Q or Wickes.

David

Reply to
Lobster