Levelling a washing machine

I have shifted the washing machine to a new location but cant seem to get it level, it moves forward on a high spin speed. The new location only has 1cm clearance and none of my spirits fit under that, the sides have about 2 inches clearance either side, and about 6 inches clearance in depth. Anyone got a smart idea for getting this level, I have spent a few hours on this dragging it in and out but it still creeps forward at high spin speed. It is sitting on plywood screwed to wooden floorboards.

Reply to
ss

I'm suspicious of your last statement as being the cause. I've never had creep (3 machines in 4 different places over 40 years) and I don't remember ever making any effort to level them, but I have always placed them on a concrete base. The current one stands on its own specific plinth off the solum.

No doubt there will be others who will help you, but I suspect that if the machine is at the edge of a wooden floor, the vibrations form the spin will be greater in the floor at the front and therefore it will walk.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Screw a batten to the plywood so that the feet can't move forward.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Same here, this is the first time its ever happened. I suppose I could try raising the front a bit (stuff the level) and if that fails then go with a batten.

Reply to
ss

How are you levelling it? It's the *floor* which needs to be level. If it *isn't*, no amount of adjusting the machine's feet will make any difference.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Good point I suspect the floor has a very slight angle, when I get time I will drag it out and double check, if out I should be able to use shims or whatever in conjuction with the ply to get the area level.

Reply to
ss

I've never had any issues with the three machines I've had over the years and its just sitting on normal floorboards. Could the machine have detached one of its internal springs during the move. Cannot say I've ever needed to be that precise with levels. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Make sure the plywood is level. Then adjust the feet of the machine to be the same and hope that makes the machine level on it's feet...

Which way do the joists run? if crossways rather than front to back there might be more "bounce" at the front of the machine which may mean it will tend to walk.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice
"

surely "Level" is not critical. The main criteria is to have the weight resting evenly on all 4 feet. Try wobbling it from corner to corner. If there is any movement then adjust the foot.

Reply to
DerbyBoy

I`ve done that DerbyBoy, to be honest the only the thing I havent done is check the floor level which hopefully I can do in the next day or so.

Reply to
ss

I was thinking along the same lines i.e. how has the machine been handled during the move? For testing, I would run it for a cycle in the middle of the floor if the pipes will allow. If it still walks, remove the lid and look for suspension abnormalities.

Reply to
Part Timer

This is exactly what the repair man from a well known appliance company told me to do. Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

I believe the problem is stemming from a worn drum bearing, it makes a noise when spinning (machine was in house when we bought) on further investigation there is play in the `spider` on the drum so this would probably cause excess vibration allowing it to creep forward. :-(

I hope there are some good January sales on the go.

Reply to
ss

Update...

1s...t my terminology for spider read pulley in previous posts. Pulley was worn and new one ordered, cost £11.
Reply to
ss