Let the fun begin...

New-to-me ex-council house that the previous owner sort of got halfway round to modernising.

First job, get the services connected......

Then find a friendly central heating sorter-outerer, as it's got a combo boiler.

Structurally sound, but tatty, is the best description. There's about half a wet room in there, too.

Now, where's the toolbox? I know where the Workmate is. It's in the storage locker, and will be for at least another day or two.

"Before" pictures are currently in the camera.

Reply to
John Williamson

In article , John Williamson writes

Well, you could keep it and just use it as a system boiler, that is one you've installed an indirect cylinder and gubbins.

Reply to
fred

I'll look into that. I need to chat with a plumber anyway, and as the system's been drained......

I may just decide to inatall an electric shower and electric heater for the sink anyway. I suspect it'll be outside the budget to put a tank and immersion heater back in. I only normally use hot water for one shower and one washing up session per day. That's when I'm at home, which is about 120 days per year.

Reply to
John Williamson

I am looking forward to them.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Nah. too much power output usually. Not efficient on trickle heating.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

honestly, pressure tank+ immersion on a timer or boiler on a timer is all you need. If you are out a lot just switch the lot off most of the time. If the house is reasonably well insulate d and low ass inside the insulation, it will warm up quickly.

The cost of pumps, wiring, etc gets yo nearly up to the cost of a pressure tank anyway.

And a pressure tank can go almost anywhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Low ass? I learn something new every day. What's that supposed to say?

NT

Reply to
NT

low mass. Muy bad

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does that include the low (slung) asses ?

Reply to
robgraham

Never liked them. Slow flow rate in winter, short life, limits on the number of flow rates...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Sounds like a combi is the ideal boiler for your pattern of use ;-) Adding an unvented cylinder will probably cost at lest £500 for no real benefit. Converting to gravity will just make your showers crap, and involve a greater risk of flooding while the place is unoccupied.

Reply to
John Rumm

For a single shower, flow rate is hardly a problem...

They are not a universal panacea as some might claim, but horses for courses.

(first one I lived with was 24 years old and still working when the place was sold).

Reply to
John Rumm

builder's bum? Please omit those.

NT

Reply to
NT

Electric showers that I'm thinking of are the instant ones - stuff 10kW up them, and when it's cold and you want a nice hot shower in winter it... trickles. And they usually have two speeds, big trickle or small trickle. Or you can have decent flow if you don't mind tepid. We're pumped from a tank.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Your wish is (eventually) my command.

set is public, as are my other pictures on Flickr, so you shouldn't need to log in.

In the junk, I found a rather posh coffee maker and a tile splitter, as well as a pasting table. That's going to see a lot of use in the future, as someone who seems to be colour blind has painted over the (textured) wallpaper.

The "light bar" in the living room is on the list for tomorrow, along with moving a load of stuff from storage to the house. And the new cooker, and sorting out the plumbing. There's no water or gas on yet, though now I've sorted the problems in the pictures out, I'm reasonable happy with the electrics.

Not a bad buy, all things considered.

Reply to
John Williamson

Sorry, we are talking at crossed purposes.

I was referring to combi boilers not electric showers. Some folks seem to have an irrational fear of them, when for some users (the OP would seem to be one) they can be a good match

Regarding electric showers then yes agreed - at best is unlikely to rival being pissed all over!

flow rates for comparison:

John Rumm

so I'm (not) being pissed on! I don't like excessive water on me, so I'm happy in Summer with the shower running on the 3.75kW element; in Winter I go mad and use the 4.75kW one!

BTW, reading the Wiki, the first things that I do when looking at fitting a shower are the CU and incoming supply, other items in the house and the occupation and useage. A neighbour was muttering about a 10kW unit on an 80A fuse, storage heaters and kitchen in use at the same time!

Reply to
PeterC

Seems sound but with potential for improvement.

On the light bar, I have done something similar when I wanted to work out where to put lights in my kitchen, how many, spacing and so on. Pendants hanging off battens with flying leads back to the ceiling rose, worked well _as_a_temporary_measure_.

Reply to
fred

It's the tiles in the kitchen with chickens on them that worries me:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Don't they all?

I'm doing little niggles as I go at the moment.

Which I think, somehow, looking at`other stuff that's been done, it wasn't intended to be.

It'll get sorted.

Reply to
John Williamson