Legal Tender - Revisited

Alas, I had no time to go to the bank & get the required change, so I can't piss off the muppets at the parking office.

However I am a contractor to the local council, albeit only three jobs in the last year.

Next job I get (and all subsequent ones) will have a £30 'Transport Charge' added to the bill. They just pay what I invoice them for, so I will end up in a profit situation.

I'm seriously thinking of standing as an independent ward councillor, just to cause panic, chaos & disorder.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Do it! The last thing they want is an independent up setting their applecart.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

So in effect you are making other taxpayers compensate you for your inability to comply with parking regulations. Nice.

Reply to
AA

Do you know exactly what the situation was? Or are you guessing?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Since you have a contract with the council,have you thought of asking them for a universal parking permit stating work is being done for the council?

Reply to
George

Getting money out of the Mudway councils is probably harder than getting the Queen to shag the late Pope. Given that most guvmint departments don't know their arse from the elbow simply do as you suggest and then when sufficiently in pocket announce to them in a polite letter that your charges will now include parking fees, as well as transport, inconvenience rate and callout charge too. Watch the corporate bean counters blanch then

Reply to
Robbo

In which case, why aren't you charging them that already? You're clearly undervaluing your services to them.

Of course if you're not, they've got the option of going elsewhere.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

I'm not certain just which 'they' you're referring to.

However; entering oneself as an 'Independent's candidate in a local election is not easy. The legislation to study is the 'Representation of the Peoples Act' which must be followed.

The starting hurdle is to obtain nominations (ten electors resident (on the roll) in that ward. Raising the deposit - which an independent is most certainly going to forfeit. _AND_ careful accounting of all expenditures in your campaign - which has a maximum limit - plus the 'report' of such expense to the Returning Officer within a specified period after the election . Without a notarised statement you will need to attend at the Returning Officer's premise, by appointment, and testify to the accuracy. Any' expenditure' prior to an election being declared is an offence against the RoPA. You'll understand that failing to report is itself an offence :) [You'll observe that 'party' aspirants are always careful to denote themselves as the _prospective_ candidate for Ward/District/County/Constituency/Region to avoid this trap; thus all expenditures occur after they've been 'adopted'. It _might_ be inferred that the subscription to a an ISP utilised to make the declaration of intended candidacy is a chargeable amount against the permitted maximum. Now, IANAL; but 'I know a man who is ... and after a Scottish MP wrote to the fuzz.... well, ask Tone and his tennis partner about unaccounted monies !

Usually when somebody is an 'Independent's candidate; they have an organisation behind and backing them. Of course the M****** Handy*** may just be willing to be a 'paper candidate' - one entered with no hope of winning - but he'll probably be subject to a lot of scrutiny from the established political parties - not to mention the Traffic Wardens- !

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

most of helpful post but there is no deposit for local elections.

Just to make a protest you do need rather a lot of spare time though, and you will not win. A letter to the local rag or even a candidate likely to win would be far easier.

Simon

Reply to
Me