left-right audio

Further to the discussion about audio coming from the wrong side, for weeks I've been aware that the sound from my telly was the wrong way round. (The telly feeds an amp and that feeds the speakers.) Yesterday I decided to do something about it, but I found that the sound was correct. I can't explain this. The only thing is, we've had two power cuts, so the whole caboodle has been unpowered for long periods.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Seems to me that far too much gear these days has unused options which can be triggered by dodgy mains or radio interference. Back in the old days it used to be just rf pick up and most of it could be handled, but nowadays, most gear has basically some form of computer in it and all sorts of odd things can happen that are not supposed to. For example, I had a pretty mundane digital talking clock that ran from the mains with also a pretty display some years ago. One ninight I awoke to what sounded like foreign voices in the house. On going downstairs I discovered the clock was flashing and its voice system appeared to be replaying some conversation in Japanese over and over.

Apparently the chip with the voice stuff on it also had some junk recordings as well and some weird spike had managed to access this. I did talk to a chap who worked for Sharp some time later, and he told me it was a known problem with some of their 'talking time' chips. I just hope it was not people swearing in japanese. It needed its back up battery removed and unplugging for a few minutes and all went back to normal. This was before the days of radio controlled clocks.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is this an analogue connection between telly and amp? Is the telly itself (internal speakers) correct?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. Phono leads.

Don't know. Telly is always on earphone setting. Tried the internal speakers once and they were deplorable so they haven't been used since.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Stereo headphones should show if the L&R are swapped in the set? But of course not if it were only the phono outputs. Although I'd be surprised if this was even possible - unless it had a botched repair at some time.

Quick test for the amp is to unplug the phonos at the TV and touch the centre of say right with a finger and see if the right speaker buzzes. But then you'd know that. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I remember launching a similar investigation to find the crossed wires. In the end it turned out to be just one DVD that had its left and right reversed!

Reply to
John Rumm