Left handed tape measures

No, not a joke. I'm tired of reading the markings on my metal tape measure upside down. Anyone sell ones the other way up?

(I'm right handed, but do some things left handed; shoot, play snooker and hold a tape measure...)

Reply to
Huge

On 11 Dec 2004, Huge wrote

Anything Left Handed does one (I don't know if this link will work, but you can get there by typing "tape measure" in the product search box on the front page of the site.)

Harvey Van Sickle

Actually it makes sense for a right-handed person to hold a tape measure in their left hand, so that they can mark off using the pencil in their right hand.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Whichever handed you are, are there are times when you need to measure from the RHS of an object, and times when you need to measure from the LHS.

So you really need *two* tape measures - one each way round in order always to be able to read it the right way up.

Frankly, if I did this, I'd never have the required one to hand - so I settle for the numbers being the wrong way up 50% of the time!

Reply to
Set Square

Reply to
Huge

On 11 Dec 2004, Huge wrote

It's a good shop -- my wife's left-handed, and I can usually find some gizmo for her in there.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Do what I did years ago. Switch to metric only tapes, they can be read from either side. Some have the dimension number printed across the tape. Very useful

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

It's usually when you're measuring into a particularly awkward that you need the left handed one. I have a right handed metre rule and a left handed one, but what you really need is a combination. Instead of having inches along one edge and centimetres along the other you need a left hand measure on one edge and right hand along the other.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Or if you are of a more traditional disposition get someone visiting the USA to bring you back an imperial only tape - as I did for a friend some years back: I think I've previously recounted the tale of him being pulled for shoplifting said tape in Wickes, and the embarrassment of store detective when asked to examine the markings.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

At least it avoids being called a "right hander" IYSWIM :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

You mean both at the same time on the same tape - now there's a good idea!

Does anyone make them?

Reply to
Set Square

Many American tapes - marked in inches on both edges...

Reply to
John Rumm

I remember a steel tape measure I was using (had been purchased from York Survey Supplies I think) had metric markings only, with the numbers only facing in one direction, but the lines extending right the way across the tape this was quite useful.

Alex

Reply to
Alex (YMG)

In message , Harvey Van Sickle writes

mark with pencil in the right hand, never consciously noticed the numbers being upside down.

Reply to
bof

In message , Frank Erskine writes

Ah . . . just posted almost exactly that

Reply to
bof

On 12 Dec 2004, bof wrote

I found one site which, for that reason, touts these ones as "right- handed" tape measures -- making the point that the "normal" ones are left-handed.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

In message , Huge writes

When you're tired of doing that, you're tired of life

Are you just trying to wind everyone up ?

Reply to
raden

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:23:23 +0000, John Rumm strung together this:

Looking good, thinking of getting one from the US now.

Oh yes, forgot about that, don't think I'll bother now.

Reply to
Lurch

Metric-only tapes are available from the continent, but this comes up so often around here that I think I might be being *whoosh*ed.

Reply to
Stephen Gower

*grin*

Nope.